Professional Research Assistant GU Laboratory
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
The (School of Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology is now
hiring for a full-time research position with benefits, now seeking applicants for an experienced Professional Research Assistant (PRA), working within a secured GU cancer research laboratory at the Anschutz Medical Campus located in Aurora, Colorado.
The PRA is a highly-detailed research position with the professional field of Oncology and will work with lab research and executes projects related to Oncology/Molecular Biology with oversight. The successful candidate will work as a collaborative and flexible team member receive supervision and direction on starting or stopping research projects, assessing results at interim time points and in regular lab meetings from the Lab PI, Thomas Flaig, MD. Other supervision and guidance will come from other faculty members in the Flaig Translational research laboratory including GU lab manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position is for a PRA in a genitourinary (GU) cancer translational lab. The position will primary involved bench side assays and work with cell culture, in vitro assays and human samples. Some examples of PRA job duties could include the following:
- Collaboration with PI and other faculty members in the lab;
- Ad-hoc programming, as needed;
- Diagnose and solve system/software problems, install applications software as related to research needs;
- Conduct screens and assays;
- Conduct literature searches;
- Preparation of tissues, cell cultures, blood samples, etc. for testing;
- Training of laboratory personnel in experimentation techniques;
- Measure and monitor correlative biologic assessments in mice;
- Assist in General Animal experiments;
- Microscopic analysis;
- Animal care related to research procedures;
- Perform recombinant DNA work;
- Evaluation of receptor expression and virus susceptibility;
- Sequence cloned genes;
- Monitor cell interactions;
- Modify, test, verify and analyze research data;
- Prepare samples for analysis by various instrumentation;
- Perform experiments in the laboratory;
- Tabulate research data;
- Record results of experiments;
- Prepare research manuscripts and research presentations;
- Develop and maintain research databases.
No Supervisory responsibilities. Summer students and rotational medical trainees (fellows, residents, etc) may work in the lab at times and the employee may need to provide informal guidance to these individuals on an intermittent basis.
Willingly accepts additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by management. Performs other related research duties and procedures, including special research projects as directed.
Working Conditions: The PRA position requires 100% effort working within the
secured research laboratory at the Anschutz Medical Campus. This position is exempt and not eligible for overtime compensation.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
The minimum qualifications required for this experienced PRA position are:
- Bachelor's degree education in appropriate scientific field (Biology, Chemistry or related sciences)
- at least 2+years of laboratory-based work is strongly encouraged for seasoned candidates using the above described higher level research laboratory techniques.
- Past experience in a biomedical research lab is required.
- Previous work in the translational cancer research lab is highly valued due to the focus of the current position.
- A Master's Degree is welcome.
- Prior research laboratory experience preferred.
- Proficient with MS Office software including Outlook) preferred.
- Must be team-oriented, flexible, able to communicate and motivate collaborative partners; must possess ability to work independently and effectively to develop new techniques; be self-motivated; demonstrated successful planning and management skills in behavioral research and/or research projects.
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches and work effectively to assure rapid research progress.
- The PRA position involves strong qualitative analysis skills, health and public health research experience, must be detail oriented and have excellent written and oral communications skills and strong word processing skills including internet and electronic mail capabilities for University business only.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9021
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Apr 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: Everlyn.Sandoval@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00677291