*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Dermatology
Laboratory Assistant (Laboratory Support I)
Position #3147 - Requisition 09069
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Laboratory Assistant for the Morphology and Phenotyping Core, located in the Charles C. Gates Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology. Responsibilities of this position will include: preparing reagents and materials for the Histology Technicians; labeling slides and cassettes; filing histology blocks and slides; receiving and logging service requests; maintaining equipment; and preparing solutions for histological staining procedures. The Laboratory Assistant will directly work with fixed animal and human tissues and prepare them for histological processing. With training, this role will also conduct additional histology duties, including tissue embedding and sectioning. This Laboratory Assistant will also assist with basic molecular and cellular biology experiments, including cell culture, immunostaining, and PCR.
All duties will be performed under the direct supervision a Histology Technician; however, it is expected that the successful candidate will perform these procedures independently after an initial start-up period.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Preparing reagents and materials for the Histology Technicians.
- Labeling slides and cassettes.
- Filing histology blocks and slides.
- Receiving and logging service requests.
- Maintaining Center equipment.
- Preparing solutions for histological staining procedures.
- Working with fixed animal and human tissues and preparing them for histological processing.
- Assisting with additional histology duties such as: tissue embedding and sectioning.
- Assist with basic molecular and cellular biology experiments, including cell culture, immunostaining, and PCR.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- One (1) year of lab support experience.
Substitution: Education which provided the same kind, amount and level of knowledge acquired in the required experience may substitute for the experience on a year for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to...
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field from an accredited college.
- Experience in a histology laboratory setting.
- Experience maintaining and cleaning laboratories.
- Experience working in a higher education/medical education lab environment.
- Experience labeling slides and cassettes.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess an interest in histology
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and reliable.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to take direction and meet multiple deadlines.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Maranke Koster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20143 - SOM-Dermatology
Posting Date: Apr 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Maranke Koster, PhD
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00003147