Student Career Senior Advisor
Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York (Medgar Evers) believes that education has the power to positively transform the lives of individuals, and that education is the right of all. A dynamic and vibrant institution, its mission is to provide higher education for the underserved populations of Central Brooklyn through high-quality, professional and career-oriented undergraduate degree programs. A four-year liberal arts college, Medgar Evers is a beacon of educational opportunity, culture, and success to the New York City community and beyond. The College is dedicated to making a positive impact on the surrounding community and pioneering initiatives that will create success for even the youngest learners in Central Brooklyn.
Reporting to the Dean for Enrollment Management, the Student Career Senior Advisor will be responsible for assisting students in identifying and realizing career goals through personal consultation. He/She will provide our students with services including: resume and cover letter review, career coaching and planning. The Advisor will be expected to be proficient in the current best practices when providing these services.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Provide career coaching and development to a diverse student population
- Collaborate with the Center's team members to connect students with career exploration activities, workshops and training opportunities
- Provide early outreach to students and assist in the development of student's career plans and a comprehensive Career Portfolio that highlights student's career interest, skills, and competencies, samples of work, experiences, achievements, and career goals
- Communicate with students regularly to update on progress and various initiatives
- Coordinate interest inventories and skills assessments to assist students in making informed career decisions, as well as information on careers, career pathways, and educational requirements
- Maintain appropriate comprehensive student records and assist in identifying student needs, assist with design and implementation of innovative programs, services and resources to address those needs
- Assist in the identification and organization of career information that is accessible to students and alumni through a variety of media (i.e. Internet web sites and social media) as they explore and make career decisions
- Conduct orientation and workshop sessions to provide students with information and follow up sessions and communications with students
- Participate in planning, promoting and managing events such as Career Fairs, and research potential speakers for career panels
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Four years of coaching, higher education and/or human resources experience
- Ability to effectively counsel and coach students from all backgrounds, cultures, and experience levels
- Experience in writing, researching and developing career-related materials.
- Excellent verbal communications, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to be trained and interpret standardized career interest inventories
- Ability to manage databases and utilize career management systems
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, administration and employers and build and develop mutually beneficial relationships
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment and autonomously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of career advising documentation
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides student career assessment and counseling and provides comprehensive career services programs.
- Provides employment and career counseling to students; may provide services to alumni
- Administers and interprets career and vocational assessment instruments
- Prepares and facilities workshops on career development topics such as job search strategies, resume and cover letter preparation, and interviewing techniques
- Develops and maintains relationships with employers that can lead to recruitment and hiring at the campus
- Assists with planning and presenting career fairs, speakers, employer visits, and other events
- Collaborates with faculty and student support service professionals to offer specialized programs and activities
- Trains and supervises interns and office staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please log on to: www.cuny.edu. Click on "Employment" and scroll down to "Search for Jobs." Click on "Search Job Listings" and select job category "Managerial and Professional".
JOB ID: 15179
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click the appropriate link to register.
Applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.
Open until filled with resume review to begin on October 5, 2016.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: Student Career Senior Advisor
Job ID: 15179
Full/Part Time: Full-Time