Research Programs Manager - Office of Responsible Research Practices (Academic Affairs)
Herbert H. Lehman College seeks a highly motivated, well-qualified individual to serve as Manager of Responsible Research Practices. Employing leadership, strategic and interpersonal skills, the Manager will oversee the implementation of research compliance policies and training programs at the College.
To ensure success of the research compliance program, the position will navigate important and sensitive interactions with key stakeholders across various components of CUNY and of the research compliance enterprise, including the Lehman campus, senior administrators, faculty, students, and staff.
Reporting to the Provost, the Manager of Responsible Research Practices will be responsible for running the Office of Responsible Research Practices. Collaborating with the faculty Research Integrity Officer, the faculty Conflict of Interest Officer, and the Director of Research and Sponsored Programs, the Manager will support the activities of a CUNY centralized IRB (including on-campus determinations for exempt and expedited review), an on-campus IACUC, and an on-campus IBC.
The Manager will develop and provide on-campus outreach and training for faculty, staff, and students in the research compliance areas of human subjects, animal use in conjunction with the Manager of the Vivarium and the Chair of the IACUC and biohazards and collaborate with the Research Integrity Officer, Conflict of Interest Officer, and Director of Research and Sponsored Programs to facilitate outreach and training in related conflict of interest, research integrity, responsible conduct of research, and compliance areas.
The Manager will also be responsible for select aspects of Human Research Protections Program (HRPP) oversight as determined by the CUNY Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and will serve as the HRPP coordinator for the College. Consulting with the CUNY Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and on-campus counsel, the Manager will be responsible for interpreting regulations, laws, and policies as applicable.
The position works closely with the Faculty Research Advisory Board (FRAB) to assure the protection of the rights and welfare of all human research subjects at Lehman College.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assists with IRB for human subjects research including research development projects, protocol submissions, quality assurance, compliance, policy development and implementation, budget, education, and staff supervision.
- Assists in assuring appropriate quality assurance of the IRB review and documentation process at Lehman College.
- Provides technical support to faculty on online IRB submission (IDEATE) and communicates user/system issues to CUNY.
- Responds to faculty inquiries regarding research studies involving human subjects.
- Prepares annual reports for each compliance area to include committee membership, volume, compliance concerns, and strategic direction.
- Prepares animal welfare reports and official memos of record.
- Advocates for compliance issues.
- Schedules and attends relevant campus based and CUNY meetings.
- Prepares official minutes.
- Works with the Provost to maintain appropriate campus and CUNY committee memberships.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
The successful candidate will bring to the position an exceptional background in research administration, including broad and deep knowledge of compliance regulations, issues and strategies, and have a track record of proven success implementing the components of a strong research compliance program in a collaborative environment. S/he will have outstanding interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and a reputation for successfully working with faculty and staff to implement new policies, procedures, and programs.
- Master's degree with three (3) years' experience in the field showing progressively higher responsibility
- Six years of professional experience working in an Institutional Review Board (IRB) setting performing administrative and technical duties
- Certification as an IRB professional (CIP) is highly desirable
- Knowledge of and expertise with university research initiatives
- Knowledge of principles of ethical conduct of research with human subjects
- Knowledge of applicable federal regulations (IRB, IACUC, IBC, OHRP, NIH, FDA, and other government agencies) related to human research subjects protection
- Excellent written and oral communication with diverse groups within and beyond the College
- Excellent database creation, analytical, time management, and multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrated experience recommending, developing or interpreting complex policies, rules, and regulations
- Demonstrated experience developing and presenting effective training materials and sessions
- Highly capable organizational skills
- Ability to edit and write clear, precise, and grammatically correct letters, memos and reports
- Follow through on assignments with minimal direction, independently prioritize work, and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with a broad range of diverse individuals in a professional manner
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages College research programs and provides support for related compliance activities.
- Administers various aspects of research programs including submission reviews, compliance education, and project protocols
- Provides administrative support and guidance to researchers and administrators with regards to applicable federal, state, local, University, and College regulations, laws, and policies
- Ensures investigators and key personnel complete required training
- Delivers or oversees educational training on research and related activities such as research subject rules and protocols, research compliance and integrity, etc.
- Monitors research subject care and use to ensure safety measures are met
- Serves as primary contact with other College departments and external organizations on research program needs and activities
- Collects information on, monitors, and reports on the advancement and completion of research projects and compliance
- May administer grant funds, prepare proposals, and research potential funding sources
- May manage program administrative and clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with the background and experience of the individual selected.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
For technical issues:
Contact the service desk by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can, provide screenshots. Please do not provide your User Account password; it is not needed to investigate any issue.
For other questions:
For questions about the content of any job posting, please contact the Human Resources department: Recruiting@lehman.cuny.edu.
Review of applications will continue until a candidate is identified. (Search reopened)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: Research Programs Manager - Office of Responsible Research Practices (Academic Affairs)
Job ID: 16311
Full/Part Time: Full-Time