Campus Security Assistant (Hourly) - Multiple Positions
In accordance with the policies of The City University of New York and individual colleges/units, and under supervision, incumbents perform duties supporting campus/location public safety and security.
Campus Security Assistants work closely with Campus Peace Officers. The major distinction between a Campus Peace Officer and a Campus Security Assistant is that Campus Security Assistants do not receive Peace Officer status.
Typical Post Duties
- Act as a First Responder to alarms and calls for service.
- Observe campus activities, reporting suspicious behavior and other incidents to Central Dispatch and/or a ranking officer within Public Safety.
- Enforce college rules and regulations as specified in Standard Operating Procedures.
- Check IDs and parking passes/decals (where applicable) of students, faculty, staff, and visitors, in accordance with the College's access policy.
- Answer department telephone lines, including emergency calls.
- Provide travel directions to college and to college campus buildings, offices, and services.
- Accept items to campus Lost and Found.
Typical Administrative Duties
- Maintain a personal record (memo book) of daily job activities and incidents, as they occur, in the manner determined by the Campus Public Safety Director.
- When assigned, carefully monitor the premises through the campus CCTV system.
- Perform assigned Fire Safety duties, including acting as a Fire Warden or Fire Guard during fire drills, emergencies, and other building evacuations.
- Act as central dispatcher, when assigned.
- When assigned, maintain post and tour logs, guaranteeing that logs are kept current and entries are up-to-date.
- Maintain radio contact with the Department's Central Dispatch.
Campus Security Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York (Medgar Evers) believes that education has the power to positively transform the lives of individuals, and that education is the right of all. A dynamic and vibrant institution, its mission is to provide higher education for the under-served populations of Central Brooklyn through high-quality, professional and career-oriented undergraduate degree programs.
A four-year liberal arts college, Medgar Evers is a beacon of educational opportunity, culture, and success to the New York City community and beyond. The College is dedicated to making a positive impact on the surrounding community and pioneering initiatives that will create success for even the youngest learners in Central Brooklyn.
Medgar Evers College is accepting applications for Campus Security Assistant(Hourly).
Proof of meeting the minimum requirements is required prior to appointment.
- A total of 1 year full-time work experience OR 1 year of U.S. Military service.
- English Proficiency: candidates must be able to speak, read, write, and comprehend the English Language well enough to meet the minimally acceptable performance standards set for job tasks.
- United States Citizenship or Permanent Resident status.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid New York State Security Guard License.
- Some campuses require the ability to drive a vehicle; for appointment to those schools, a Valid Driver's License (issued by a state or territory of the United States) is required.
Candidates must also meet physical, medical, and psychological requirements, including a screen for drug usage, and a background check, including fingerprint screening. They may be required to demonstrate physical readiness for performing job tasks. For candidates for full-time positions, a Civil Service examination and appointment from a Civil Service list are required to achieve "probable permanent" status.
New Hire - $12.66/hr
Incumbent - $13.01/hr
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu to access the employment page. Click the "search job postings" link, followed by the "Support Staff" link.
Click the job ID #15768 to review the posting and apply. Please upload your letter of interest and current resume.
Open until filled. Resume review to begin on November 22, 2016.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: Campus Security Assistant (Hourly) - Multiple Positions
Job ID: 15768
Full/Part Time: Part-Time