Director of IT Infrastructure and Operations (IT Computer Systems Manager, Level 3 - Provisional)
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Computer Systems Manager
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under the general supervision of the Chief Information Officer and/or their Deputy CIO, exercising independent initiative and judgment, the Director of IT Infrastructure and Operations provides vision and management for overseeing the operations, personnel, projects, planning and budget for the IT Service Desk, Systems Administration/Data Center/Desktop Support group and the Network/Telecom/Information Security group.
This hands-on individual will collaborate with other IT, Campus and University leadership and units to coordinate technology efforts and further the mission of the department and institution. The Director is a strategic and key member of the IT Leadership team and will be expected to provide valuable expert insight and successfully execute strategic initiatives. The Director will also represent the department and campus on numerous committees and working groups to ensure the requirements and policies of the department are addressed while contributing to the overall success of our students and the institution. The ideal candidate will be one who can blend the "how" of technology with the "why" for its applicability to our institution.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for leading, building, evaluating and training staff in the operations of the IT Infrastructure and Operations teams; directs a customer-focused team and defines performance goals and conducts evaluations.
- Collaborates in partnership with stakeholders to establish business process requirements, analyze potential new services, prioritize projects, deploy and update systems/tools.
- Works closely with other IT teams to develop procedures, standards, operational controls, processes and communication paths for the monitoring and support of the technology operations, infrastructure and applications.
- Functions as an IT project leader and determines timeframe, cost, delivery, issue resolution, risk mitigation and status communication.
- Oversees infrastructure related projects, from inception through implementation, to ensure timely and effective completion.
- Manages vendor relationships, including contract negotiation and compliance requirements.
- Analyzes current infrastructure and services as well as monitors new developments and industry best practices including the use of technology in higher education to incorporate into operational management and planning for infrastructure and operations services.
- Measures user satisfaction with existing services with a goal to improve where necessary.
- Participates in overarching IT governance strategies and leads IT governance groups associated with the provision of information services.
- Ensures scalability and accessibility of infrastructure and services.
- Develops, tracks, and controls the infrastructure and operations teams annual operating and capital budgets; develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Performs hands on configuration and troubleshooting on various infrastructure and operations related tasks/platforms.
- Responsible for compliance and completion of all audits and attestations pertaining to their units.
This function/position has been designated as "essential." The individual is expected to answer calls/e-mails via a department-provided mobile device within a reasonable time frame. Additionally, when the College is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at the College
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
- Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including 5+ years in a leadership role
- At least 8 years of recent experience managing and deploying infrastructure solutions in a primarily Cisco 1Gbps/10Gbps copper and fiber network switching/routing environment with multiple distinct VLANs/IP subnets
- Excellent management, organizational, customer service, and communication (written and oral) skills; interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of employees/executives, vendors and partners
- Demonstrated problem-solver with the ability to cope under pressure and coordinate multiple activities in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment
- Ability to prioritize staff responsibilities based on criticality or business impact
- Self-driven, motivated senior IT leader with strong analytical and problem solving skills, and leadership/good executive presence
- Ability to plan, establish, manage, and evolve academic/administrative client systems and solutions in support of student and institutional success
- Strong project management skills
Experience in the following is highly desirable:
- Managing an IT Service Desk/Help Desk operation using an industry standard platform such as Track-IT, Remedy, LANDesk, etc. in a call center environment (e.g. Cisco Contact Center)
- Managing a large scale managed wireless infrastructure (e.g. Cisco or Aruba) and overseeing data center operations; build-out/expansion experience a plus
- Managing a Cisco VoIP environment with Call Manager and Unified Messaging and dealing with Tier 1 telecom providers for interconnectivity
- IT leadership, execution and delivery including experience leading IT infrastructure/operation groups in applying innovative IT solutions in support of the business.
- Managing multiple projects by defining scope, screening vendor responses, negotiating costs and recommending approaches
- Active Directory/Group Policy Management, MS Exchange, Lync/Skype for Business, VMWare, SQL Server, Backup/Recovery, Windows Server in a high availability environment
- Higher education work environment
- EMC VNX (or other SAN solutions) in a high availability configuration
- Firewall/threat management gateway technologies such as ASA/Palo Alto including implementation of a DMZ and NAT/PAT and other access control policies
- Systems monitoring tools such as Cisco Works or Solar Winds
- Working with multiple units and/or organizations, building relationships, and on highly collaborative projects
- Multi-tiered information security approach including equipment, software and education
- Directory and systems security; compliance with regulations
- Anti-spam appliance such as Barracuda and anti-malware managed platforms such as McAfee endpoint protection/encryption
- Windows 8+ and Apple MacOS/Server and MDM solutions such as Airwatch
- IT Disaster Recovery planning
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours
Salary commensurate with education and experience up to a maximum of $95,000.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Postings"
Please attach resume, cover letter and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin 9/30/16.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: Director of IT Infrastructure and Operations (IT Computer Systems Manager, Level 3 - Provisional)
Job ID: 15542
Full/Part Time: Full-Time