Food Services I Part Time
Position Title Food Service Worker I
Interested applicants should apply through company website https://employment.ega.edu/
Job Description Summary
This is a manual and semi-skilled position involving a variety of food service duties in dining hall, kitchens and coffee shop. Work involves responsibility for limited supervision over food service workers (students and temporary staff) engaged in serving foods, cleaning facilities, and preparing serving line meals. Position also requires preparing beverages and food items as well as assisting other food service workers in such tasks as cleaning and paring vegetables, washing dishes serving from a serving line, cleaning tables, and sweeping and mopping floors. Employees are responsible not only for neatness and cleanliness in preparing, handling and serving food, but for serving patrons in a pleasant and courteous manner. Work may also include preparing meats and vegetables using skill in frying, grilling and sautéing as well as consulting with supervisor to determine best methods of preparation for individual food items. Must maintain highest standards of safety and sanitation in assigned areas and have knowledge regarding care and use of standard cooking equipment such as: mixing machines, steam cookers, toasters, food choppers, coolers, freezers, baking ovens and stoves. Operation of coffee grinders, coffee makers, espresso machines, etc. may be required. Additionally, position requires operating a point-of-sale system, including accepting payment and returning accurate change or meal ticket receipts in payment of bills, purchases and admission to events or other services. Other requirements include checking food trays and determining food cost as well as reconciling cash and credit slips on hand against reports and assisting other areas in dining hall and/or retail operations. Work may include preparing deposits, receiving and maintaining inventory of supplies (ingredients, prepackaged food items, cups, lids, napkins, etc.). A standard of excellence is required in providing fast, courteous and professional customer service, thereby promoting the interest and mission of EGSC Dining Services. Employee must have the ability to multi-task and remain professional while under pressure. Position requires performance of additional duties as assigned.
• Greets customers and provides quick, friendly, and personal, yet professional, service
• Prepares menu items using item standard recipes and measurements
• Maintains the highest level of standards for all product preparation and presentation
• Follows health, safety, and sanitation guidelines for all products and equipment
• Generates customer satisfaction by responding appropriately to customer concerns
• Accurately processes transactions through the point-of-sale system and counts back change to customers
• Follows all cash management policies and procedures to ensure accountability of funds
• Sells and serves baked goods and miscellaneous items to customers
• Answers telephone in a friendly manner, using a professional greeting
• Adheres to appropriate uniform standards of dress and behavior in the workplace
• Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating, storing, and recording products and inventory
• Opens and closes, following a checklist
• Performs assigned cleaning tasks in accordance with cleaning standards
• Communicates with supervisor to solve problems and improve quality and service
Knowledge Required by the Position
• Ability to operate food preparation equipment, including, but not limited to:
o Mixing Machines
o Steam cookers
o Toasters/Toaster Oven
o Food Choppers
o Baking ovens
o Coffee Grinder
o Coffee Maker
o Espresso Maker
o Milk Frothier
o Smoothie Maker
• Knowledge of food safety and safe food handling practices
• Ability to operate point-of-sale system
• Ability to maintain balanced cash drawer and prepare deposits
• Ability to maintain stock of ingredients and supplies
• Must be proficient with knife skills
• Able to follow recipes in English
• Ability to work under pressure in fast paced environment
• Must be organized and a problem solver
The Director of Dining Operations Services and Café Supervisor assign work in terms of general instructions
Guidelines include the college catalog, the faculty and staff handbook, and University System of Georgia rules and regulations, as well as rules and regulations related to the storage, handling, preparation, and service of food and beverage items. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work
• The work consists of multiple tasks of varying degrees of complexity, some of which require the use of knives, appliances with blades, and appliances that generate high levels of heat and steam.
• The position requires the ability to multi-task in an environment where customer impatience may add to employee pressure.
• Contacts are students, faculty, staff, and members of the general public.
• The work is typically performed during standard daytime hours. Availability to work nights and weekends may be required.
• The work involves walking, lifting, bending, stretching, and stooping.
• The work involves the operation of food and beverage preparation equipment.
• The work is performed in a small food preparation area inside a building.
• Some heavy lifting and cleaning required.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
May supervise or help train (student workers and temporary staff)
• High school diploma or GED
• Food/beverage preparation and service preferred.
• An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check and a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
• Completion of a vocational training course in food preparations and service; and or experience in large-scale institutional or commercial cooking
• This includes some supervisory experience; or and equivalent combination of training and experience
Posting Detail Information
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College (EGSC) is an associate and baccalaureate degree granting, residential, liberal arts state college of the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to both academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.
Complete College Georgia
East Georgia State College strives to create and maintain a learning environment maximizing the opportunity for each student to succeed. Each individual student’s academic success is important. Accordingly, every employee of the college has a responsibility to carry out his/her position duties in a manner which enhances the learning environment and communicates that message to students each working day.
This position description describes the specific duties and responsibilities of this position. In addition, each EGSC staff member has the responsibility to contribute as needed to other projects and initiatives to assure that EGSC carries out its mission and attains its vision. This may, from time to time, require active participation on committees or performance of other duties not specifically described in this position description.
Open Date 06/13/2016
Open Until Filled Yes
An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), physical and drug screening.