Senior Associate Dean
I. RECRUITMENT PLAN
Posting Number: F000999 Academic Title: Senior Associate Dean Rank: Administrative Title: Senior Associate Dean Discipline Education Specialty: Contract Type: With Tenure Required Licenses/Certifications and other Specific Requirements: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Proposed Start Date: 06/01/2017 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Position Description Summary:
The George Washington University is located in the heart of Washington DC, at the center of U.S. government, policy and law. This location provides a unique setting to study, teach and learn among leaders and practitioners in every discipline, taking part in the interchanges that shape the local DC community, the nation, and the world.
The Graduate School of Education and Human Development currently houses five departments (Curriculum and Pedagogy, Counseling and Human Development, Educational Leadership, Human and Organizational Learning, and Special Education and Disability Studies), with graduate programs at the Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, the GW Virginia Science and Technology Campus in Ashburn, VA, and at education centers in Arlington, Alexandria, and Hampton Roads, VA. The school has an exciting and growing online presence as well.
Reporting to the Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, the Senior Associate Dean is an integral and important member of the Dean's leadership team, which currently includes the Associate Dean for Research and Partnerships, Associate Dean for Doctoral Studies, and Assistant Dean for Masters Programs. The Senior Associate Dean works in close collaboration with other school leaders to develop and implement strategic initiatives within the school, and (s)he will be expected to be a strong advocate for the school's and university's commitment to excellence, diversity, and inclusion. This multifaceted role requires an individual who is able to interact with the highest levels of professional courtesy, respect and integrity.Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership, direction, and oversight of faculty processes related to recruitment, appointment, retention, evaluation for promotion and for tenure, sabbatical and professional development leave, and faculty awards and recognition;
• Organize faculty orientation processes and supports for early career faculty;
• Nurture faculty professional development in research, instruction, and advising across all ranks;
• Coordinate the annual faculty evaluation process;
• Collaborate with and advise the Department Chairs and program coordinators and participate actively in relevant school committees responsible for faculty personnel;
• Work closely with the Office of the Associate Dean for Research to coordinate and develop support for faculty in both sponsored and non-sponsored research endeavors;
• Reinforce the school's commitment to a culture of transparent decision-making, professional accountability and shared success;
• Maintain and grow his or her own program of research and scholarship.
All applicants must have:
• A doctorate in Education or a related field;
• Senior administrative leadership experience;
• A demonstrated record of sustained excellence in scholarly achievement including research funding, refereed publications, and national/international professional presentations;
• Clear evidence of mentoring, leadership, and organizational skills;
• Demonstrated experience with and continuing commitment to development of early career faculty trajectories;
• Demonstrated experience in developing and supporting cross-disciplinary faculty initiatives;
Upon appointment at The George Washington University, the successful candidate must be tenured or eligible for tenure within one of the existing program areas in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development.
Anticipated start date of appointment is June 1, 2017.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please upload the following:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Cover Letter
3. Names and Contact Information for at least 3 references
Review of applications will begin November 7, 2016, and will continue until position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered. Employment offers are contingent on the satisfactory outcome of a standard background screening.Department Link: Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Quick Link http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/37985
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have adoctorate in Education or a related field?
- Do you have a demonstrated record of sustained excellence in scholarly achievement including research funding, refereed publications, and national/international professional presentations?
- Do you have clear evidence of mentoring, leadership, and organizational skills?
- Do you have demonstrated experience with and continuing commitment to development of early career faculty trajectories?
- Do you have demonstrated experience in developing and supporting cross-disciplinary faculty initiatives?
- Do you have senior administrative leadership experience?
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Names and Contact Information for References