SoyFACE Research Coordinator - Department of Plant Biology (A1700203)
SoyFACE Research Coordinator
Department of Plant Biology
School of Integrative Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Plant Biology seeks a SoyFACE Research Coordinator to coordinate and participate in data collection and experiments for SoyFACE (Soybean Free Air Concentration Enrichment). The coordinator is responsible for construction, maintenance and operation of infrastructure to impose experimental treatments of elevated carbon dioxide and elevated ozone (free-air concentration enrichment plots) on diverse crops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate all research at the SoyFACE facility and on-site safety training for student and postdoctoral scientists associated with SoyFACE
- Oversight of general on-site field operations and research facilities, including construction of FACE rings, fumigation with elevated carbon dioxide and ozone, field preparation and maintenance, measurement of micrometeorological conditions, harvesting and general site maintenance.
- Training of other field technicians in maintenance and operation of FACE rings.
- Supervision of undergraduate field assistants (hire, train, assign/review work issues, approve time, set work schedules and set goals)
- Responsibility for weekend operation of field site during the growing season along with other field technicians.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and lift loads up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelor's degree in Agricultural Engineering, Crop Sciences, Biology or a related field
- Experience with experimental field work
- Experience trouble-shooting electrical systems with a multimeter
- Familiarity with GPS and GIS systems
- Experience with CO2 analyzers
- Experience with data logging systems
- Experience operating and maintaining field equipment
- Basic computer programming experience (C, C++, Python).
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by April 25, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Marty Forrest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Plant Biology
College Name or Administrative Unit: LAS/SIB
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 04/04/2017
Close Date: 04/25/2017