Lab Specialist Intermediate
Working Title: Lab Specialist Intermediate
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Medicine, Nephrology Division
Posting Date: 04-04-2017
The Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, is seeking a Laboratory Specialist Intermediate to provide advanced scientific techniques and technical support with an emphasis innate and adaptive immunity in acute and chronic kidney injury. The incumbent provides a variety of laboratory procedures and techniques under the guidance of the Principal Investigator. The incumbent is responsible for assisting the Principal Investigator in designing; conducting; assessing experimental results and analyzing experiments on laboratory projects; including biochemical; cellular and in vivo animal model (mouse) approaches.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Molecular Biology or other scientific field. A minimum of six years of laboratory research experience (may include student experience) using molecular biology or genetics approaches to address relevant scientific experiments is required. A Master's degree in a related science may substitute for required experience. Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) is required. Candidate must have the ability to establish priorities; design and execute experiments; perform experiments following approved protocols; maintain records; analyze data; prepare written documentation; make formal presentations; resolve issues and problems; work accurately with attention to detail; occasionally assist and train graduate, undergraduate students, and fellows on lab procedures and techniques; and knowledge of caring for and breeding research mice. The incumbent maintains laboratory equipment, supplies and orders supplies as needed. Qualified candidate must have excellent organizational and record-keeping skills. Experience with the UVa Integrated Systems (PO Purchasing), Research Databases, and Statistics packages, such as PRISM, are preferred.
This is a restricted position and is contingent on the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to establish priorities, design and execute, and perform complex experiments following approved protocols.
2. Ability to maintain records, analyze data, prepare written documentation and make formal presentations.
3. Knowledge of laboratory techniques and research matter expertise.
4. Ability to synthesize information, provide advice and address needs independently.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills in daily interactions.
6. Ability to resolve issues and problems.
7. Ability to supervise, train and educate students and fellows on lab procedures and techniques as well as leading and building professional teams.
8. Excellent organizational and recordkeeping skills.
9. Knowledge of laboratory techniques.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81553