Student Advisor - JWMI
The Student Advisor for JWMI supports a cohort of up to 300 students of varying tenure. The Student Advisor serves as the primary guide to ensure that students meet their educational goals and successfully complete their path to graduation by monitoring and promoting academic progress and success, advising students on university policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and providing a high level of service to remove barriers inside and outside the classroom.
- Onboarding of new students.
- Works with students and appropriate academic personnel to develop an individualized course sequencing plan which will assist each student in planning his/her academic path that is consistent with his/her career goals and objectives.
- Provides best practices and guidance in getting students acclimated in completing their course work successfully in the online environment.
- Facilitates awareness and helps students to locate and obtain general information and contacts with other support services (tutoring, learning resources, webinars, careers, workshops, etc.)
- Promotes and supports academic progress to encourage students to persist and complete their courses and degree program in a timely manner.
- Works across departments to resolve student problems serve as a liaison to triage barriers.
- Ensures students complete the re-enrollment process each term through outreach and retention efforts.
- Assists all students with academic problems to include working closely with at-risk students to identify interventions and strategies (i.e. tutoring, additional academic advising, etc.) needed to assist them to succeed in collegiate environment.
- Works regularly with faculty on at-risk advising, appeals, etc.
- Helps prepare the student for graduation requirements and exiting the University to alumni status.
- Master's degree required, preferably in Business, Counseling, or Higher Education
- Three plus years' experience in higher education setting and/or counseling or coaching experience; or three plus years of relationship management or customer service.
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and strong managerial skills.
- Adept at building and maintaining relationships especially in a virtual environment.
- Be goal and detail-orientated.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Be pro-active, highly organized and being able to manage own time.
- Have the capacity to work independently and also in a team environment.
- Possess the ability to learn quickly and carry out multiple tasks and function with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the student enrollment process and guidelines.
- Some evening and weekend hours are required (incumbents must be willing and able to be flexible with their working hours).
- Strong computer skills in MS Office suite (MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Certificates, licenses and registrations
- Must be able to travel 10 % of time
- Must be able to lift 1 lbs.
- Typical office setting
Physical and Mental Demands
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor
- Travel via plane, car, and metro is not required to perform this job
- Access information using a computer
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
Working at Strayer is rewarding and each one of us is incredibly passionate about succeeding at our mission and that passion is contagious. With that in mind we are always in search of dedicated, talented individuals who want to be part of something that's enriching, challenging, and rewarding.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strayer.edu.
Strayer University is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law.