Director of Financial Aid
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Director of Financial Aid.
The Director of Financial Aid shall be responsible for the organization, operation, and administration of the Financial Aid Programs at Southwestern Michigan College. The Director of Financial Aid is directly responsible to the Vice President for Student Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participation in the development and implementation of administrative policy within the Business Office.
• Provide leadership in a continuous cycle of evaluation and improvement of financial aid services provided to students. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Develop, oversee, and revise financial aid policies in a manner consistent with the mission and vision of the College.
• Develop measurable outcomes for all services related to the financial aid program, evaluate the outcomes, and use feedback to improve services to students at both Niles and Dowagiac campuses.
• Supervises the use of automated computerized financial aid management systems for awarding, packaging and tracking financial aid monies and applicants; analyzes financial aid enrollment, disbursement data and prepares financial reports for the College’s leadership; and utilizes computer systems/software including: Banner, Document Imaging, Microsoft Office and electronic interfacing with outside agencies.
• Assure that financial aid is processed, awarded, and delivered efficiently and in a manner that maximizes the positive impact on both traditional and non-traditional students.
• Counsel students and families of diverse backgrounds on financial aid procedures, college costs, and academic standards required for receipt of financial aid, and debt management issues.
• Coordinate financial aid operations with other appropriate college departments including: Admissions, Registrar, Business Office, and Information Technology.
• Attend professional training and financial aid workshops as needed.
• Assist the Director of Admissions with the development, communication, and implementation of enrollment management goals and strategies. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Assure the financial aid policies and services align with the College’s enrollment management goals.
• Assure that printed and electronic materials used in the financial aid programs align with the College image and enrollment goals.
• Develop, update and present financial aid information using printed materials and classroom presentations directed toward students; and maintain and update Financial Aid online information.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of mutually beneficial relationships with donors and agencies, which fund local and institutional scholarships, with high schools in our service area, and with other constituents served by the College Financial Aid Programs.
• Assure that financial aid procedures are implemented to effectively serve students in articulated programs with senior institutions of the College campus.
• Ensure compliance in all aspects of the Financial Aid Program, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Ensure that scholarship awards are made in accordance with donor requests and College policy.
• Ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations and with the regulations of other agencies governing student loans, grants and other forms of student financial aid.
• Ensure the maintenance of accurate documentation as required.
• Develop and maintain a policy and procedure manual in conformance with College, federal and state guidelines.
• Prepare and submit annual FISAP in coordination with the Business Office
• Compile and submit annual reports as required and requested.
• Assure that qualified personnel provide financial aid services in a proactive, team oriented approach. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Assist in the recruiting of and make recommendations for the hiring of financial aid staff whose performance is consistent with the Mission and Vision of the College.
• Provide for the training of financial aid personnel as well as cross training of staff in other areas as determined in conjunction with the Vice President for Student Services. Evaluate the performance of financial aid staff; recognize and reinforce acceptable and outstanding performance; identify unacceptable performance and implement a course of action to correct such a situation.
• Recommend to the Vice President for Student Services professional and team development opportunities for financial aid staff.
• Develop and maintain effective systems to communicate financial aid information both vertically and horizontally within the Business Office and other divisions within the College.
• Prepare financial aid budget recommendations and supervise expenditures for the financial aid department.
• Prepare applications for funding through federal and state financial aid programs in cooperation with the Business Office.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Student Services.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and at least five (5) years of progressively responsible financial aid experience.
• Current laws, regulations, and financing options.
• Monitoring and tracking student financial aid packages.
• Preparing graduating and existing students.
• Managing team performance.
• Evening and weekend availability.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to commit to a team-building approach.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet timelines and objectives.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff, and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
Posting Number 20110555
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- I am a former SMC Employee
- SMC Website
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents