Intercollegiate Athletics - HEAD COACH - FIELD HOCKEY
Vacancy ID S2075 Job Title HEAD COACH - FIELD HOCKEY Department Intercollegiate Athletics School/Parent Organization Intercollegiate Athletics Parent Org Division Provost and Educational Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 05/01/2017 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52 Normal Start Time Normal End Time Position/Job Summary
The head coach will lead and direct all aspects of the competitive intercollegiate sport to include coaching and teaching effective strategy, technique and training, recruitment of qualified student-athletes, and teaching of courses in PALS and/or carrying out assigned administrative responsibilities within the Intercollegiate Athletics department. The head coach is responsible for ensuring compliance with NCAA, Conference, and Ithaca College rules and regulations, establishing appropriate competitive and developmental goals and objectives for each season. The head coach will be involved with some aspects of alumni relations within their sport and will support fundraising efforts for special initiatives in their program or the department of athletics.
1. Plan, direct, and conduct in-season and where appropriate and permissible non-traditional and post-season team and individual athlete practices and competitions.
2. Design instructions for individual student athletes and for specific team needs, and teach proper skills, skill development, and team concepts to student athletes.
3. Analyze opponent performance; present and develop competition strategies that are commensurate with appropriate tactics.
4. Oversee the promotion of student athlete safety and well being in all training sessions, conditioning activities, practice activities and competitions. Provide student athletes with instruction regarding physical health and safety.
5. Monitor the academic progress of each student athlete. Council and advise student athletes about plans for setting goals, academic success, appropriate social conduct and other life skills topics, communication with media, and other personal and sport related issues.
6. Oversee, coordinate and supervise recruitment efforts to include identification of and correspondence with prospective student athletes via mail, e-mail, telephone, text and fax messages, and in-person visits; coordinate efforts with assigned assistant coach(es).
7. Present and discuss information related to Ithaca College student host and prospective student athlete responsibilities prior to releasing a prospect for a campus overnight recruiting visit.
8. Oversee the process of selecting, maintaining, monitoring and evaluating all team members; including athlete talent assessment, academic eligibility, and individual sport performance.
9. Attend and participate in appropriate national or regional level coaching clinics and/or conventions to improve and increase overall knowledge of coaching techniques and practices.
10. Prepare and submit sport related budget and provide specific input on all team travel, lodging and meals. Submit travel itinerary for all away competitions to athletics administrations approximately one week prior to scheduled events.
11. Evaluate, select and recommend for purchase sport related equipment, uniform and supplies. Oversee the distribution and recovery of all equipment, uniforms and supplies. Ensure and monitor an inventory control system for all equipment, uniforms and supplies.
12. Assist and collaborate respectively with the appropriate athletics administrators creating practice and competition schedules.
13. Oversee the arrangement of officials for all appropriate home competitions.
14. Identify problems and/or concerns regarding athletic facilities and work with the Associate Director of Athletics or other athletics administrators in an attempt to resolve facility-related concerns, especially those involving safety issues.
15. Participate in identifying candidates for assistant coaching positions and assist in the selection process. Supervise and evaluate the performance of full and part-time assistant coaches, graduate assistants and volunteer coaches and provide input on their evaluations.
16. Engage in various fundraising projects and related programs and activities promoting the athletics program to include ensuring that sport specific fundraising goals are met. This may involve participation in public relations opportunities with faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and news media.
17. Attend all scheduled staff meetings, unless excused by immediate supervisor.
18. Serve on various College committees and seek out opportunities to serve on national and regional sports committees.
19. Complete various assigned reports including the sport related annual report, and submit to immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
20. Meet annually with immediate supervisor and/or the Director to review student athlete and administrative evaluations, and establish personal and professional goals and objectives for the following year.
21. Perform other related duties in concert with established work-load percentages. This may include teaching in the School of HSHP and/or managing an administrative assignment in the athletics program.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 years coaching experience; knowledge of and interest in men's and women's sports; experience scheduling and coordinating special events or athletic contest, demonstrated ability to develop, monitor and reconcile various departmental and program budgets; extensive knowledge of various word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications, excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and strong attention to detail are required. Master's degree is preferred and must be completed within two academic years.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter and list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).