Project Director - Student and Campus Services
Posting Date February 2, 2017
Position Title Project Director - Student and Campus Services
Vacancy # V - 1249
Department Program Management Office
Division Information Technology
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the supervision of the Associate Vice President, IT Program Management Office, the Project Director - Student and Campus Services, will oversee and perform the business analysis and project management work efforts of the internal and external staff engaged in the planning and implementation of University's systems across the enterprise and serve as a partner to the relevant department managers and directors.
The Project Director will assist in monitoring and enforcing the program quality, project, and service delivery management standards including conducting engagement reviews on an ongoing basis.
The Project Director will also have responsibilities for development and execution of change management and communications plans and will facilitate cross-functional team communication for timely issue resolution.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as a pragmatic and commercially aware business interface to the Technology team while also providing a strong focus on designing robust and flexible processes and systems.
o Leads requirements gathering and solution identification/definition (including implementation, validation, and ongoing operational costs).
o Leads development, testing and implementing of selected projects as assigned
• Surveys the business units and/or Application Managers to assess/analyze IT opportunities against enterprise and business units' 3-5 year strategic objectives.
o Works closely with business units and Application Managers to translate business strategy into tactical activities and systems roadmaps.
o Serve as an area Portfolio Manager to insure that portfolios are aligned with enterprise and departmental objectives and that forecasts include business analysis time.
o Documents and maintains the Application/IT Enterprise Asset portfolios and business application roadmaps.
o Researches and analyzes key business drivers, competitive environment, trends and operating metrics.
• Defines criteria against which all projects will be reviewed.
o During the project initiation and planning phases of the SDLC, develops the business case and assesses projects for technical fit, strategic fit, ROI, risk and other factors.
• Develops/implements a governance process that provides a cohesive methodology for business case development and assessment which delivers optimal business performance.
• Works with Portfolio, Project and Application Managers to define release management and transition to operations.
• Proactively pursues development opportunities for the business.
In addition to the above, the Project Director will also be responsible for the formulation of departmental objectives, and for the on-going operation and management of a business analysis function. He/She may also be responsible for recruiting and managing a staff of business analysts as appropriate.
• Provide leadership to cross-functional project teams.
• Ensure adherence to established work plan tracking, issue and status reporting procedures.
• Coach project managers and project teams regarding development of project plans and schedules, project cost/benefits estimates, estimates of project staffing requirements and issue management.
• Conduct and support training programs for the program/project managers and team members.
• Monitor and manage 3rd party vendor performance at a milestone level.
• Manage scoping of projects including both the IT and the business components of the project.
• Manage communication between internal customers and various functional groups.
• Participate in vendor evaluations and provide recommendations.
• Define measurable stakeholder aims and monitor issues affecting the progress of the project.
• Compose effective communications that inform various stakeholders of the reasons for the change, the benefits of successful implementation as well as the details of the change.
• Devise an effective education, training and/or skills upgrading scheme for the organization.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelors degree or equivalent required. An MBA and/or consulting experience a plus.
• Experienced business analyst, with track record of increasing responsibility, independence and ability to lead and drive complex operational and strategic initiatives. This will require the following:
o A strong understanding of formal business process analysis methodologies (SSADM, UML, etc).
o Demonstrated interest in modeling and financial analysis with strong track record of success conducting complex analyses through the application of a high degree of analytical rigor.
o Ability to perform structured analyses combined with the ability to synthesize data into useful formats bringing actionable insights.
o Distinctive research and problem solving skills, combined with strong business judgment.
o The ability to react positively to rapidly evolving business requirements.
• Comfortable liaising at all levels within the business.
• Experience working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
• Superior Microsoft Excel modeling skills (pivot tables, macros etc.) and PowerPoint skills together with strong database experience (e.g. SQL, MS Access etc.).
• Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken and a willingness to engage diplomatically but tenaciously with the business.
• Strong organizational skills
• Detail orientated.
• Adept at leading and influencing all aspects of our business proposition.
• A team player with self-confidence, assertiveness and personal motivation.
• 3+ years of ERP or educational systems related implementation and change management experience.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Prior public sector consulting and project management experience.
• Strong business analysis skills.
• Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or a related field.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION