Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Section of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, School of Medicine
Gastrointestinal Eosinophilic Diseases Program (GEDP)
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for:
Examples of Work Performed:
- Manage daily activities in laboratory including supply ordering, financial reporting, act as contact point for purchases, equipment and lab maintenance, develop and maintain research databases and other administrative and regulatory business as required.
- Tissue culture work including feeding and splitting of cultured primary cells (including isolated peripheral blood leukocytes) and cell lines and work with transient and stable transfection methodologies, including plasmid-based luciferase assays and siRNA silenced cell lines.
- Plan and perform murine studies involving mouse models of gastrointestinal inflammation, followed by tissue isolation, processing and analysis and analyze experiments. Studies may range from acute time-points of days to chronic time-points of weeks.
- Molecular biology work including DNA and RNA purification, real-time reverse transcriptional polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), protein analysis, including antibody-based flow-cytometric analysis (FACS), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), western blotting and histological techniques such as tissue sectioning, staining, immunohistochemistry and quantitative microscopy.
- All research tasks require careful data gathering and documentation.
- Assistance with data interpretation and analysis.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- BA/BS biological sciences or a related field is required.
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong communication skills
- Leadership experience
- Effective time management skills and flexibility around experimental duties
- Highly organized
- Basic knowledge of biological systems and molecular approaches.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $34,000 - 40,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Questions should be directed to Sandra Sarabia, email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8992
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20936 - SOM-PEDS Gastro-GenOps
Posting Date: May 18, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sandra Sarabia
Posting Contact Email: Sandra.Sarabia@childrenscolorado.org
Position Number: 00732392