Officer - Department of Campus Safety
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The university safety officer serves to assist higher command and is responsible for the general protection of the community and the campus facilities. The officer may serve as an on-site supervisor or watch commander, and will patrol the campus to pro-actively remove opportunities for crimes to occur. This is an emergency response position and at any time there may be a need to immediately respond to security, safety, life threatening, or other urgent situations. This is an emergency response position and at any time there may be a need to immediately respond to security, safety, life threatening, or other urgent situations. Must be flexible to be assigned any shift, based on the needs of the department, which could include working holidays and weekends.
- High school diploma.
- Bachelor's degree or 60 units of college preferred.
- Required certification: Guard card, tear gas, collapsible baton, 1st aid, CPR, and AED.
- The guard card, CPR, 1st aid, and AED must be in possession at to the time of hire.
- Tear gas, and collapsible baton certification required within the 1st month of employment.
- Must have no criminal record.
- Must possess a current CA driver license.
- Previous college and/or university campus safety/security/law enforcement experience preferred or equivalent on the job experience.
- Patrols university property, in a vehicle or on foot, to provide security and traffic control.
- Performs physical security checks of campus facilities, ensuring facilities are in use by appropriate personnel.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency radio calls.
- Be available and ready at any point during shift to respond to community needs.
- Observes, reports, and identifies persons involved in suspicious activities or manners. Ensures that unauthorized persons leave the university and community.
- Enforces university policies, regulations, and municipal, state and federal laws. Assists local law enforcement as necessary.
- Conducts thorough investigations as assigned and completes detailed reports as to those investigations. Participates in crime prevention programs.
- Assists Student Life and Residence Life personnel as required. Provides on-campus escorts to university students and personnel as requested.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary under the guidance of the Chief, via Chain of Command.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check (including DMV check) on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.