Food Service Worker II (9 mos)
Catering - 163730
Is this an internal posting only?
hrs vary based on catering needs
Join the University of North Texas Dining Services department where fresh is "in"! All of our food is prepared fresh in our kitchens using local vendors and farms - no convenience foods.
Our Dining Services department includes a nationally acclaimed vegan cafeteria, faculty and staff meal plans, and dining halls are open to the community. All menu planning is done in-house by each kitchen's chef and fresh ice cream is made on campus. Our future plans include a bakery and farm on campus to provide as many sustainable options as possible. To our staff, eating local is not just an attitude, it's our way of life.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The Catering Department at the University of North Texas has several unique positions available as a Food Service Worker II. These are permanent; full time benefit-eligible position that work 9 months out of the year (September to May) and employees are able to spread their pay for 12 months. Or better yet! Employees have the option to work during those, summer months and make more money!
The Dining Services department is currently searching for a Food Service Worker II to function as a cook.
Job Duties Include:
* Preparation of breads, pastries, meats, vegetables and other items using recipes, as well as the operation of various kitchen equipment
* Prepare standard menu items for all Union food service areas of operation
* Assist with requisitioning, ordering, receiving and stocking food items
* Operate all standard cooking equipment including mixing machines, steam kettles, ovens, stoves, choppers, slicers, broilers etc.
* Assist with training and supervision of employees in area of responsibility
* Cleaning and sanitation in respective area and break down of boxes received
* Assist with scheduling and assigning employees
* Participate in development of menu/recipe standards, policies and procedures
* Ensure safety and security of employees and food supplies
* Assist other employees with performance of their duties
* Develop or assist with development of evaluation goals, objectives, organizational plans and special projects.
* Follows departmental dress code
* Customer Service Oriented
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess one year experience in institutional or commercial food service.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Ability to follow oral and written instructions
* Ability to maintain records and complete forms accurately
* Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: collecting cash and making change.)
* Strong knowledge of the care and use of food service equipment and kitchen utensils
* Strong knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service and necessary precautionary measures
* Ability to perform work involving standing, stooping, lifting, and use of utensils and equipment relating to food service operations
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Cooking experience
* Catering experience a plus
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a full time position that works only during the 9 month regular school year.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting