Database Administrator II
Database Administrator II
Database Administrator II
IT Shared Services - 925000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
IT Shared Services (ITSS) is part of the Finance Division of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas System is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The IT Shared Services Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Database Administrator II to join their team.
The holder of this position performs as a database administrator with an emphasis on data warehousing and business intelligence related activities. Provides experience for working with data warehousing architectures, tools and processes. Works to implement new service level offerings around business intelligence for reporting and analytics subject matter support as it pertains to the database and BI related services. Has knowledge about statistical methods to provide business intelligence and analysis.
Performs moderately complex database administration work. Work involves planning, developing, maintaining, and monitoring integrated database systems; developing and implementing database policies and procedures; and maintaining data integrity.
Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Database administration related work for Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, No-SQL systems (i.e. Hadoop).
* Performance tuning for database systems (SQL Statement/Instance/System level).
* PeopleSoft applications architectures and processes.
* Database backup and recovery technologies, tools and processes
* Works with High-Availability tools (Oracle Dataguard; MSSQL HA clusters/mirroring).
* Data Warehousing related architectures, technologies and processes (ETL, DWH Architecture, Data Mart, Enterprise Service Bus). Traditional structured as well as non-structured data warehousing architectures.
* Business Intelligence related architectures, tools and processes (reporting, dashboards, analytics, KPI).
* Statistical methods and procedures to produce business intelligence.
* Strong desire and demonstration of service-oriented customer skills.
* Monitors and manages tools for database administration (i.e. Oracle CloudControl; zabbix; Idera SQL Server toolset).
* Responsible for the installation, administration, and management of the Data Warehousing technology stack (Hortonware HDP, Mule, SAS VA/VS or similar products).
* Works on developing and delivering both technical and functional services in regards to Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence/Analytics.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's degree with coursework in computing or information systems and four years of progressively responsible computer programming and analysis experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Extensive knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing, including system analysis and design, and computer programming techniques.
* Strong skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Strong skill in analyzing and solving complex data processing and computing problems.
* Ability to coordinate a work team and train lower level programmers and analysts for specific tasks or assignments.
* Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to communicate clearly, succinctly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualification:
* Experience with relations database management systems (Oracle, MSSQL) and/or big data related management systems (NoSQL)
* Experience with Hadoop distributions (Hortonworks, Cloudera) as well as assorted technologies (Pig, Hive, Sqoop, MapReduce)
* Experience with Data Modelling tools and techniques (ERD, Star Schema, Normalization)
* Experience with ETL tools and concepts
* Experience with Analytics (SAS Visual Analytics, SAS Base, SAS Visual Statistics or comparable)
* Experience and knowledge of fundamental statistical methods and data preparation/wrangling concepts
* Experience with and knowledge of scripting languages (Perl, Python, PowerShell)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting