Food Service Manager I
Dining-Residential - 163720
Is this an internal posting only?
Mon-Thurs 7am - 8pm, Fri. 7am - 7pm weekends and overtime as necessary
Join the University of North Texas Dining Services department where fresh is "in"! All of our food is prepared fresh in our kitchens using local vendors and farms - no convenience foods.
Our Dining Services department includes a nationally acclaimed vegan cafeteria, faculty and staff meal plans, and dining halls are open to the community. All menu planning is done in-house by each kitchen's chef. To our staff, eating local is not just an attitude, it's our way of life.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
To learn more about working in Dining, watch this 93 second video: http://www.dining.unt.edu/ourstory
The UNT Food Department is seeking to hire a Food Service Manager I (Chef Manager) to join their Champs Dining Services team.
The Food Service Manager I is an entry-level management position that involves the preparation and serving of food in the Champs Hall Dining area. The Chef Manager is responsible for the quality and quantity of food, and for the general appearance and sanitary cleanliness of the unit.
Job Duties Include:
* Assisting with daily operations; inspects, preps, tests, and evaluates all food quality and appearance
* Assist with development of menus and recipes
* Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements and communicates to employees
* Evaluates procedures and policies to ensure efficient and effective operations
* Assist with ordering, requisition, inventory of food items and supplies
* Interviews, hires, trains, and supervises salaried and hourly staff
* Supervise in sanitation and cleaning of kitchen
* Participation with development of evaluation goals, objectives, organizational plans and special projects
* Supports and practices the University and Dining/Retail Services commitment to service
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Food Service Manager II.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and two years of experience in food service management; or any equivalent combination of experience, education or training. Must be Food Safe Certified or able to get certification within 6 months. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough knowledge of food preparation and food service management in a large food service unit.
* Thorough knowledge of employee health, kitchen cleanliness, and sanitation requirements.
* Thorough knowledge of hazards to human life and health that can occur from improper food preservation and service.
* Thorough knowledge of kitchen equipment, kitchen implements, and advanced food preparation and processing procedures.
* Skill in the preparation and service of food.
* Skill in training, supervising, and evaluating the work of subordinates
* Ability to maintain time and cash receipts records.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
* Service Etiquette
* Rigidity with compliance to documented service and production standards
* Ability to identify and seek help when needed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Previous Food Service Manager experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting