Non - student Hourly (Media)
Non - student Hourly (Media)
Athletic Admin - Gen - 220000
Is this an internal posting only?
Flexible pending sport seasons
UNT competes as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Conference USA. North Texas' athletic programs are classified as NCAA Division I, the largest and highest division among all colleges and universities. The 46,000 square-foot Athletic Center located off South Bonnie Brae Street is the centerpiece of North Texas athletics. Athletics strives to conduct a competitive athletics program that promotes faculty, staff, student and community affiliation and participation with the North Texas Athletics. Also, to provide facilities which attract the highest level of talent and allow student-athletes to perform at the highest level in practice and during competition.
The University of North Texas Athletics Department is currently accepting applications for a 10-month internship in the athletic communications office. The position will assist the communications staff with the publicity of the program's 16 NCAA Div. I-A teams. The position will work closely with selected teams to promote and publicize the athletics department. Duties include, but are not limited to, website management, feature story writing, social media planning, writing press release, responding to media inquiries and game operations.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and two years of experience in writing and/or editing publications; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for university audiences.
* Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others.
* Works effectively within a team and effectively works closely with other staff, faculty, students toward a common goal.
* Knowledge of how to contact sources and ability to conduct interviews and take accurate notes.
* Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
* Knowledge of writing guidelines for various media and ability to create unique copy for each format (print, online, broadcast).
* Understanding of institutional strategy (or ability to quickly assimilate) and ability to integrate the strategy into modes of communication.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* The candidate should possess strong written and verbal communication skills with at least a year of experience in either athletic communications or a journalism related field.
* Applicants should be proficient in desktop publishing software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
* Bachelor's degree in a journalism related field and a familiarity with StatCrew software is a plus.
* Must be available to work nights and weekends when necessary.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting