Food Service Manager I
Catering - 163730
Is this an internal posting only?
Hours vary, weekends and overtime
Join the University of North Texas Dining Services department where fresh is "in"! All of our food is prepared fresh in our kitchens using local vendors and farms - no convenience foods.
Our Dining Services department includes a nationally acclaimed vegan cafeteria, faculty and staff meal plans, and dining halls are open to the community. All menu planning is done in-house by each kitchen's chef and fresh ice cream is made on campus. To our staff, eating local is not just an attitude, it's our way of life.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The UNT Food Department is seeking to hire a Food Service Manager I / Sous Chef to join their Kerr Dining Services team.
The Sous Chef will be responsible for the assistance of planning menus, the supervision in preparation and quality control of food in a large scale campus cafeteria, overall customer satisfaction, general appearance and sanitary cleanliness of the unit, and the completion of all assigned tasks. This position will perform work under the general supervision of the Food Service Manager II.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
* Assist in menu planning
* Supervise preparation and quality control of food in large scale campus dining kitchen
* Supervise the work of staff engaged in the preparation of meats, vegetables, salads, and desserts
* Train and instruct subordinates in food preparation methods, techniques, and practices
* Accurately forecast food production and control food costs
* Maintains monthly inventory
* Prepares weekly cost reports
* Writes daily food production plan
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and two years of experience in food service management; or any equivalent combination of experience, education or training. Must be Food Safe Certified or able to get certification within 6 months. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough knowledge of food preparation and food service management in a large food service unit.
* Thorough knowledge of employee health, kitchen cleanliness, and sanitation requirements.
* Thorough knowledge of hazards to human life and health that can occur from improper food preservation and service.
* Thorough knowledge of kitchen equipment, kitchen implements, and advanced food preparation and processing procedures.
* Skill in the preparation and service of food.
* Skill in training, supervising, and evaluating the work of subordinates
* Ability to maintain time and cash receipts records.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
* Service Etiquette
* Rigidity with compliance to documented service and production standards
* Ability to identify and seek help when needed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Culinary background
* Certification from an accredited culinary school
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting