China Center Assistant Director
- Master's degree with at least six years of administrative experience in international education, business or government programs
- Superior to native written and verbal communication skills in Chinese and English
- Experience in supervising global projects and public event planning
- Experience in supervising staff and providing leadership
- Experience in managing a budget
- Knowledge of Chinese culture, social, political and educational systems
- Must be able to attend functions off campus during weekends and evenings
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience working and living in China
- International business or consulting experience
About the Job
The assistant director supports the executive director of the China Center by advising, collaborating, and supporting the University community to create and sustain academic and professional relationships between the University and the greater Minnesota community with China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. This position reports to the executive director of the China Center.
University Collaboration - (30%)
- Develop and present orientation and cultural informational programs for University constituents and local organizations, counsel and advise faculty, administrators, students and community members on Chinese culture, history, social and political issues, and proper Chinese protocol.
- Collaborate with coordinate campuses, institutes, schools, colleges and departments to propose, recommend, develop, evaluate and facilitate programs that promote academic exchange or research cooperation with partner institutions in China
- Collaborate with University of Minnesota China Office on initiatives and strategies of student recruitment, alumni connections, community outreach, business networking, and partnership building
- Partner with University of Minnesota Alumni Association and University of Minnesota Foundation to strategize Chinese alumni relations and plan alumni events in China;
- Serve as China Center's liaison with China Center's Advisory Council
- Host visiting guests as representative of the University and the China Center
- Collaborate with the China Center’s Mingda Institute for Leadership Training on program design and administration
- Lead ad hoc projects if needed
Community Relations – (30%)
- Advance the University’s brand by building relationships with government agencies and stakeholders in U.S. and China
- Work with the executive director and business community to develop, explore and expand the relationships with local businesses with operations in China and Chinese business with operations in Minnesota
- Explore opportunities for new events/programs in Minnesota and in China that are supportive to the China Center mission.
- Represent the executive director and the China Center at community events and at regional and national China related organizations
- Keep abreast of current affairs and university policies for China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
Global Marketing and Communication – (15%)
- Oversee marketing, publicity, and communication of China Center's programs
- Oversee China Center’s website and social media content in English and Chinese
- Coordinate publicity and communications strategy with the GPS Communications staff
- Edit the quarterly University of Minnesota & China Newsletter
- Edit the China Center annual report and other publications
- Responsible for the quality of Chinese translation of university documents and university employees’ bilingual business cards
Office Management - (15%)
- Develop and be accountable for program and event budgets; negotiate with vendors and professional service providers: oversee expenditures; prepare and review contracts
- Provide input for the preparation of the annual China Center budget request; recommend any redistribution, special needs
- Work with the director to manage staff; develop job descriptions for office positions; hire, train, evaluate and discharge staff as necessary
- Assign duties and supervise the work of direct report(s) and student support staff.
Scholarship Administration – (10%)
- Administer China Center’s six scholarship programs, two exchange programs and one fellowship program
- Coordinate with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) on matters related to immigration regulations, international admissions, and visiting scholars from China
About the Department
China Center is the University of Minnesota's bridge to China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Since 1979, the China Center has worked to strengthen the bridge of understanding, friendship, exchange, and cooperation between U.S. and Chinese people and cultures. The China Center is part of the Global Programs and Strategy Alliance (GPS Alliance) that is the central international office for the University of Minnesota system, and also oversees the University of Minnesota China Office.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
- Resume with list of three professional references
- Cover Letter
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.