Chief of Police
Chief of Police
Police-Administration - 355400
UNTHSC is one of the nation's distinguished graduate academic health science centers, dedicated to education, research, clinical care and community engagement. In the heart of Fort Worth's Cultural District on a 33-acre campus, the UNTHSC is located immediately adjacent to several museums (Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, National Cowgirl Museum, and others) and the Will Rogers Coliseum. The UNTHSC campus consists of 1.4 million square feet of facilities, housing lecture halls, training rooms, patient care facilities and research labs. UNTHSC is composed of: The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Health Professions, School of Public Health, College of Pharmacy, Health Institutes - multi-disciplinary research Centers and Institutes, and UNT Health - a clinical provider faculty group practice.
It is important to note, UNTHSC has partnered with Texas Christian University to create a joint MD medical school. The inaugural class of 60 students is expected to matriculate in Fall of 2019.
The UNTHSC is governed by the University of North Texas (UNT) System Board of Regents, and is a state-supported institution. Other system institutions include UNT-Denton, and UNT-Dallas. The UNTHSC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Each school or program also has professional accreditations.
UNTHSC has put into words and action the values that define how its team acts and works together to reach its goals. These Values are based on the concept of True North?referring to the internal moral compass that all possess. The UNTHSC seeks to build upon the values that its team members have in common and conducted a campus-wide exercise that employed surveys and focus group sessions leading to the formation of a cross-functional and diverse values blueprint team to identify the values already shared.
Their work has resulted in clearly stating the UNTHSC's values, definitions and behaviors that form "Our Values," the document that guides the institution's values journey. Not only do these common values promote a work environment in which all are comfortable, but also an atmosphere in which the UNTHSC can best achieve:
* Our purpose: Transform lives in order to improve the lives of others
* Our mission: Create solutions for a healthier community, and
* Our vision: Be an extraordinary team, committed to excellence, unafraid to challenge conventional wisdom
These Values are:
* SERVE OTHERS FIRST - Encourage growth, well-being and success of each other and people we serve.
* INTEGRITY - Uphold the highest ethical standards.
* RESPECT - Treat everyone with dignity and compassion.
* COLLABORATION - Work together to achieve shared goals.
* BE VISIONARY - Create innovative solutions in the pursuit of excellence.
For detailed information regarding UNTHSC's Values initiatives, please visit https://www.unthsc.edu/values/.
The Police Department at the University of North Texas Health Science Center is seeking to hire a Chief of Police to join our team.
Under the administrative direction of the EVP and Chief People & Performance Officer, the Police Chief provides leadership, strategic planning, and administrative direction for the PD; serves as the senior law enforcement officer for the university, and works closely with all university units. Responsible for management of administrative and operational affairs and oversees safety and security for extended programs and facilities. Directs and represents the PD, supervising crime prevention programs, leading community police efforts, enforcement of the crimes and vehicle codes, investigation of crimes and vehicular accidents, and maintains positive relationships with constituents.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Provide leadership to the University Police Department to ensure effective and efficient police, safety, and security services are provided to all campus locations.
* Directs all operations of the police department by planning, organizing, directing, staffing, and evaluating the administrative and operational activities of that division.
* Develops, implements and administers goals, objectives, policies, procedures and strategies for the police and police related activities.
* Develops and recommends an effective budget for the department. Plans, monitors, and evaluates expenditures and recommends budget strategies and actions.
* Maintains effective communication with police administration and personnel within the University community, and with other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies through personal contact, correspondence and attendance at meetings.
* Directs and assists in the training, coaching, and development of subordinate staff, participates in the selection and promotion of police personnel, reviews and/or evaluates employee performance, analyzes employee performance problems, and determines disciplinary action to be taken.
* Develops work schedule for personnel that are designed to provide optimum manpower and resource utilization for police, safety and security services on a 7 day, 24 hour basis.
* Directs investigation activities to assure maximum utilization of investigation personnel, resources and techniques.
* Serves as liaison between the university and other state or federal agencies/departments and other organizations on matters of Public, Environmental and Health Safety Issues. Serves on State and local law enforcement committees, as necessary and appropriate.
* May, during certain situations, be required to perform patrol duties and activities.
* Develops and maintains programs to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations; and provides timely reporting as necessary for compliance with such programs.
* Parking and traffic flow.
* Participate in completion of annual security report and ensure Clery Compliance.
* Coordinate with local law enforcement agencies, UNT Denton Police, UNT Dallas Police and UNT System Office of General Counsel.
* Able to maintain and continue accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA) Accreditations.
* Other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the Department.
* Support UNTHSC's values.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; and seven (7) years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Must be Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) certified.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Master Peace Officer licensing.
* Master's Degree.
* 10 years of experience.
* Previous law enforcement experience in a university or medical environment.
* Familiarization with Law Enforcement Accreditation and their processes.
* Critical Thinking & Decision making.
* Visionary, collaborative leadership experience leading teams in a complex organization.
* Skill in financial planning and fiscal management.
* Demonstrated credibility and effectiveness in interacting with leadership, faculty and staff, surrounding community, and with other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Intermediate technology skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter with their online application.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Commensurate with Experience
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
If required, please list all certifications required for this position.
Must be Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) certified
Official Job Title
Chief of Police
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled