Chair and Professor
Chair and Professor
Physical Therapy - 300820
The University of North Texas Health Science Center in Ft. Worth is seeking a visionary leader for the position of Physical Therapy Department Chair The department is housed within the School of Health Professions (SHP), which is one of six schools/colleges in the institution which include Osteopathic Medicine, Allopathic Medicine, Public Health, Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences. The SHP also includes a Physician Assistant Studies Program and an online Graduate Certificate in Lifestyle Health. The Department of Physical Therapy offers a clinical Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) and a dual degree DPT/PhD in Structural Anatomy and Rehabilitation Sciences in collaboration with the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
The Department Chair serves as strategic academic and operational leader of the DPT program by providing effective leadership in the areas of accreditation; curriculum; faculty development; student recruitment; quality improvement; strategic planning; and budget management. There are presently 14 faculty in the department who engage in teaching, research, clinical practice and service. In collaboration with the faculty, the Department Chair assures delivery of the DPT curriculum in a manner that meets program goals, learning outcomes, and fulfills the vision, mission and strategic plan of the department, SHP and University.
The Chair works collaboratively with the Dean, the SHP Executive Team, the PT faculty and staff, and others in the institution to advance education and scholarship in a culture of collegiality, inter-professionalism and excellence. A goal of the SHP is for graduates to be prepared to practice in a team-based patient centered dynamic health care environment of the future. The Chair serves as an important conduit connecting the PT program with other University departments, communicating information and contributing to the growth and improvement of the institution. As an advocate for the Department, the chairperson collaborates with the administration in implementing the University's mission to create solutions for a healthier community.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The candidate we are seeking is a senior faculty member who possesses strong leadership skills, teaching excellence, an established research record, and a vision consistent with emerging health care delivery who will build on the department's accomplishments and contributions in education and scholarship. This is a full-time, 12-month appointment, tenure-track/tenured at the Associate/ Full professor level. Salary and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience. The selected individual is a faculty member and will also have the opportunity to teach and conduct scholarly activities.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Promotes University's values; sustains organizational health, working collaboratively in a positive and trusting fashion.
* Develops, communicates, and upholds Department, School and University bylaws, policies and procedures; Maintains the highest standard of transparency and ethics.
* Maintains superior customer service to internal and external customers.
* Responsible for developing and coaching core faculty, adjunct faculty and staff employees in the PT department.
* Represents the department on the School Executive Leadership team.
* provides reports and additional requests in a timely manner.
PT program curriculum and operations
* Provides leadership, direction, and administration of all aspects of the Department activities in collaboration with the faculty and staff.
* Serves as the academic leader of the PT Department while appropriately reflecting the future of the profession.
* Responsible for development, implementation, evaluation and improvement of all teaching programs of the department, although specific activities usually are delegated to a curriculum committee and individual faculty.
* Supports faculty research and other forms of scholarly activity, particularly as these contribute to the further development of physical therapy and institutional research initiatives.
* Leads participation in the accreditation process; assures full compliance with federal, state and accrediting body standards and regulations.
* Responsible for the development and maintenance of effective department operations including efficient workflow, achieving student learning outcomes; ensuring appropriate faculty numbers; assuring quality curriculum.
* Ensures Department participation in the recruitment, selection, retention and academic success of students.
* Ensures the participation of herself/himself as well as departmental faculty on institutional committees and in service activities of the department and the institution.
* Serves as the fiscal agent for the Department; directing the preparation of the annual budget, completing analysis of fiscal status and implementing appropriate actions related to resource utilization, approving expenditures, reviewing reports.
* Delegates authority and responsibility consistent with faculty and staff strengths and interests, within the context of the Department needs and available resources.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
* Earned academic doctoral degree (eg; PhD, EdD, DHS), as well as a license or eligibility to practice as a physical therapist in the state of Texas.
* Minimum of six years of full-time higher education experience, with a minimum of three years of full-time experience in a PT education program.
* Excellence in teaching with a defined area of professional content expertise.
* Established record of research/scholarly activity.
* Active involvement in the physical therapy profession and understanding of key issues in physical therapy education.
* Understanding of and experience with curriculum content, design, implementation, and evaluation.
* Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to listen and communicate, as well as the ability to be flexible and exercise collaborative decision making.
* Strong interest and proficiency in faculty development and mentoring.
* Strong vision and effective leadership skills.
* Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, and to interact effectively with colleagues, administrators, faculty members and students, as well as external constituencies.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Previous higher education administrative experience as a leader/chair of an academic department, and/or academic program.
* Experience with management of personnel-related activities, such as recruitment, new hire recommendations, and performance evaluations; and overseeing departmental financial processes.
* Experience in strategic planning.
* Outstanding judgment and the capacity to set and communicate priorities.
* Administrative experience with professional accreditation standards and procedures.
* Appreciation of new teaching methods and educational technology.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete the online application located at https://www.unthscjobs.com/applicants
The full and complete application should contain the following:
1) A cover letter
2) A complete CV
3) The names of three professional references including their relationship to you, their position, email, and direct phone numbers. References will not be contacted without permission.
Commensurate with experience
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
If required, please list all certifications required for this position.
A Physical Therapist license or eligibility to practice as a physical therapist in the state of Texas.
Official Job Title
Chairman And Assoc. Professor
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled