The Director of the Maryville University Library will be a team member involved in the reinvention and innovative transformation of the University Library as Maryville University’s active learning ecosystem continues to develop. As plans for a major expansion in the building unfold, the director will assist in the planning of Maryville’s Innovation Center as the library continues to be a destination for all constituents.
Guided by the University Strategic Plan and focusing on student learning through the use of innovative technology for information dissemination and discovery, the Director will be instrumental to the development and delivery of a cutting edge library of the future, always with a focus on our priority: Maryville students. This includes the expansion of an automated library – 24/7.
The Library Director has the administrative responsibility for all library resources, services and operations, and works collaboratively with all areas on campus to ensure the educational programs and resources of the library are a central core of the University. The Library Director serves as a key partner, representing the Library within the university and to the external world. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
More specifically, the Library Director:
- Serves as an active team member in the development of an innovative and collaborative approach as we create a new vision of the library
- Manages the library team by building effective internal relationships and recognizing the ideas and strengths of others
- Collaborates to create diverse student initiatives that enhance learning and reach students of all populations
- Serves as a key contributor to the development of the Digital World on campus
- Cultivates a vibrant learning community by collaborating with university units and building relationships across campus
- Articulates, advocates, and measures the performance of the strategic vision for the future of the library that is transformational, innovative, cutting edge, and enhances the University Strategic Plan
- Sets priorities and measure performance for innovative solutions to accomplish the mission of the University
- Leads the continuing transformation of the library through the use of innovative technology for information dissemination and discovery
- Supports students and faculty through the continuing assessment of online resources and services to provide the most current and cost effective virtual library
- Leads in the facilitation of student digital/media/information literacy throughout the curriculum
- Provides leadership and administrative expertise for library services and operations.
- Coordinates the hiring, review and development of library staff. Supervises and provides leadership and mentoring to direct reports. This includes making hiring decisions, conducting performance evaluations, and preparing development plans when necessary.
- Facilitates and fosters a collaborative, team-based, work environment with strong commitment to diversity, shared vision and goals, quality service, student-centeredness, and professional development.
- Prepares and defends the annual library budget, relating all priorities to the University Strategic Plan.
- Leads the continuous assessment of library resources, services and operations.
- Contributes to academic accreditations evaluative reviews and new program initiatives.
- Oversees the efficient organization, preservation and digitization of materials in the University Archives.
- Represents and networks locally, regionally, and nationally to build or expand existing, creative, and mutually beneficial relationships within the corporate, public, nonprofit, library communities, and government sectors
- Seeks partnerships in the library community and beyond to enhance services to Maryville students and community.
- Identifies new sources of revenue and funding through grants, partnerships, and innovative business solutions.
- Fosters community involvement and service that furthers the mission of the transformational, innovative library
- Academic credentials to include an earned terminal doctoral degree or a Master's degree, with relevant experience, from a recognized accredited institution.
- Experience managing a group of diverse individuals with varying roles to develop a cohesive, productive team
- Minimum of five years of successful and progressively responsible administrative experience
- Strong fiscal management skills and experience allocating and re-allocating limited resources to fulfill the priorities of the strategic plan
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proven ability to engage and inspire others
- Ability to foster creativity and innovation and to generate enthusiasm within and around the Library.
- Experience in Strategic Planning utilizing data and collaborative processes
- Experience with innovative practices and professional development opportunities that will enable faculty, students, and staff to become more effective researchers.
- Significant knowledge of the application of technologies in support of innovative library services.
- Commitment to collegiality and collaborative decision-making.
- Proven effectiveness and expertise in change management in a complex environment.
Regular office hours. Some weekend and evening hours required based on student needs.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screenings.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.