Biomedical Research Specialist, Senior
Working Title: Biomedical Research Specialist, Senior
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Pathology
Posting Date: 04-03-2017
The Department of Pathology at the University of Virginia is seeking a Biomedical Engineer to research, design, and develop medical products, such as joint replacements and robotic surgical instruments. In this role the Engineer will also design and modify equipment for clients with special needs in a rehabilitation setting, and/or manage the use of clinical equipment in hospitals and the community. Applicants should have a keen interest in creating and maintaining design systems and products for the medical industry, and the ability to apply engineering principles and materials technology to healthcare.
Qualified candidates must have a Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering and 5 years' experience working on biomedical products in a research and development laboratory. A Bachelor's degree and 7 years of experience may be considered.
Candidates must have demonstrated skill in computer aided design, plastic printing of parts, fabrication of mechanical devices. A basic understanding of electronics and the ability to assemble Arduino compatible electronic projects and programming Arduinos is highly desirable.
This position is restricted and contingent on the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to plan complex information and provide specialized advice.
2. Ability to manage activities of teams or programs.
3. Ability to design products that are effective and practical as well as cost effective and aesthetic.
4. Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication to liaise with a variety of people.
5. Proven ability to clearly articulate specific information.
6. Demonstrated ability to think critically and work under pressure.
7. Ability to combine a high degree of technical knowledge with creativity.
8. Spatial awareness, three-dimensional conceptual ability and computer literacy.
9. Commercial awareness, in order to appreciate a product's marketability.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81531