Working Title: Maintenance Engineer
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 04-03-2017
As he planned the University of Virginia and designed its first buildings, Thomas Jefferson envisioned a great public institution of global scope and character in his words, the "future bulwark of the human mind in this hemisphere." As we move ever closer to fulfilling the vision of U.Va. as the first truly great public institution of higher learning in America, our employees advance our core work of teaching, conducting research, providing best-practice care for patients, and encouraging public service. Our staff are essential team members in an environment known for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excellence, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The University of Virginia's real property portfolio includes over 16 million square feet of space valued at over $4 billion. Caring for these assets is increasingly complicated and technical. The Maintenance Engineer focuses on collecting, structuring, creating, and maintaining high quality data about the building and infrastructure components to meet a variety of business needs. This position supports the design and execution of maintenance activities and projects that are:
Well integrated with occupant activities
Compliant with applicable regulations
The successful candidate will understand the connections between the University's strategic initiatives and facility operation/maintenance; possess the ability to rapidly acquire and apply new knowledge, skills, and abilities; exhibit exceptional teamwork and interpersonal skills; and be able to extract information and knowledge from large datasets. The Maintenance Engineer applies creativity and innovation to overcome challenges and improve processes.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Understand organization goals, programs and strategic initiatives and align actions with them.
2. Knowledge of data analysis.
3. Excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize work.
4. Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate with and engage diverse groups. Ability to exhibit exceptional teamwork.
5. Excellent analytical skills and ability to prepare reports on complicated topics that are well organized and easy to understand.
6. Ability to prioritize, schedule, track, and manage multiple activities and projects.
7. Ability to rapidly acquire and apply new knowledge, skills, and abilities
8. Ability to extract information and knowledge from large datasets.
9. Apply creativity and innovation to overcome challenges and improve processes.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81533