University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Education & Human Development
Position #681166- Requisition 09049
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The School of Education & Human Development has an opening for a part-time Instructor position: Undergraduate Teacher Preparation for Rural Education Partnership (T-PREP) .5 FTE Instructor at Otero Junior College (OJC) in La Junta, CO.
The position of Instructor for the Undergraduate Teacher Preparation for Rural Education Partnership (T-PREP) Residency program is a half-time, non-tenure track position and one of the key personnel for the undergraduate teacher education pathway, UG T-PREP at OJC, which is offered in a partnership between Otero Junior College and the University of Colorado Denver, School of Education and Human Development (SEHD). The UG T-PREP at OJC pathway is a unique pathway in that it combines an Associate's degree in elementary education at OJC and a Bachelor's of Arts degree in Education and Human Development with an elementary teaching license in a seamless, locally delivered program. The entire four year program is delivered at OJC with the first two years of coursework offered through OJC and the second two years offered through CU Denver at OJC in a combination of face-to-face and online courses. The T-PREP Residency Coordinator would be an employee of CU Denver responsible for coordinating the entire pathway with colleagues from both OJC and CU Denver, creating partnerships with local schools in southeastern Colorado, supervising students in the field, building local teacher education capacity and teaching seminars.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Recruitment & Admissions
- Collaborates with recruitment staff from OJC and CU Denver to ensure program is highlighted in all recruitment efforts and that staff have up-to-date, high quality materials that clearly communicate key aspects of the residency program
- Supports interested students in connecting with key personnel at OJC and/or CU Denver to facilitate admission and financial aid processes
Advising & Learning Community Development
- Collaborates with advisors at OJC and CU Denver to ensure all advising materials are accurate, including articulation agreements and advising forms
- Leads development and supports facilitation of Learning Community infrastructure for T-PREP students in the first two years at OJC and last two years as CU Denver students connected to preparation curriculum.
- Supports students in connecting with key advising staff at OJC and CU Denver
Curriculum & Instruction Supports
- Coordinates team of instructors involved in education courses at OJC, and those CU-Denver courses delivered face to face at OJC, to develop a collaborative teacher education instructor community that meets regularly to ensure alignment and coherence within and across clinical blocks of coursework as well as identify necessary student supports.
- Collaborates with CU Denver leaders to facilitate a summer professional development institute for all current and new instructors from OJC
School Partnerships & Clinical Supervision
- Initiates and facilitates ongoing partnerships with local area schools where students engage in varying levels of clinical experiences including early field experience and residency year internships
- Provides ongoing supervision, coaching and feedback to all students in early field experiences and residency year internships
- Facilitates the connecting seminars for all students in early field experience blocks and the collaborative learning community seminars for all residency year internships
- Completes all clinical evaluations for all students
- In collaboration with school site coordinators identified by each partner school, provides support to mentor teachers in their roles. Also problem-solves issues students and/or school partners may experience.
A master's degree in education, or a directly related field from an accredited institution and five years of professional teaching experience, particularly working with diverse student populations. Two years of leadership experience (formal or informal) in schools, doing new teacher development, project coordination, and/or student support services.
Conditions of Employment:
This position is based out of La Junta, Colorado. Candidate must be willing and able to travel occasionally to CU Denver.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and experience with teacher education
- Knowledge and experience with local public schools
- Knowledge of resources for social, academic, and financial supports for underrepresented students in higher education.
- Knowledge and experience in working with diverse communities and
- Proficiency in use of computers for technical writing, project planning, communications, dissemination, and data base management.
- Ability to provide leadership to coordinate complex and detailed tasks related to: program structure across both institutions; program delivery; developing a local teacher education community; LEA relations; and support services to enhance retention and success of underrepresented students in higher education.
- Ability to collaborate with others to design and implement teacher education curriculum,
- Ability to work with diverse populations, demonstrating high levels of cultural sensitivity and responsiveness.
- Experience in higher education, preferably teacher education
- Experience in teacher development, including mentoring and instructional coaching
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring salary has been established as $25,000 at 50% time. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09049
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding your application should be directed to SEHDHR@ucdenver.edu. Questions regarding the position should be directed to: Dr. Barbara Seidl, email@example.com
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30063 - EDUC-Ctr Collab Educ Ldrship
Posting Date: Apr 3, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jessica Coon
Posting Contact Email: SEHDHR@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00681166