Fellow (Post Doc) - Diagnostic Medicine / Pathobiology
General Description of Position: This Post-Doctoral position for independent research involving viruses such as Influenza, Rift Valley Fever, Vesicular Stomatis Virus (VSV), and/or African Swine Fever in both BSL-2 and BSL 3 bio-containment conditions. The position is directly mentored by an experienced faculty member of the College of Veterinary Medicine who provides career advancement opportunities. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.Job Description: - Conduct infectious diseases research in support of viral pathogenesis and vaccine studies as a member of a large, multi-disciplinary team. Develop and implement study plans including the experimental design of animal studies and virological analysis of animal samples. This includes participation of animal manipulation on a variety of animal species in ABSL-2, ABSL-3, and ABSL-3Ag level biocontainment; nucleic extraction; cloning; restriction digestion; PCR; cell culture; reverse genetics; and documentation of research findings.
-Develop new and improve existing experimental techniques/assays in virology and molecular biology methods. Design, fabricate, calibrate, and repair research equipment. Plan and conduct experiments with excellent laboratory record keeping. Work within budgetary constraints
- Perform experimental and statistical data analysis. Write and edit manuscripts for publication and/or presentation
- Mentor and provide educational guidance to students and research assistantsRequired Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in molecular biology or related field
- Ability to write and publish scientific articles in national animal health, virology or basic science journals including working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Prepare technical reports and recommendations based upon scientific outcomes
- Use a variety of laboratory equipment such as a thermocycler, centrifuge, sequencer and other basic laboratory equipment
- Support and participate in experimental studies that include a variety of animals
• Experience in influenza virus research or other zoonotic viral research with reverse genetics.
• Ability to work with animals at the BSL2 and BSL3 biocontainment Special Instructions to Applicants: To apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.