College Laboratory Technician - Biological Sciences
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Job Title Name: College Laboratory Technician
College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under direction of the department Chair of Biological Sciences at Lehman College, the College Laboratory Technician (CLT) will perform the following:
- Prepare all necessary reagents, solutions, apparatus, demonstrations, etc., used in assigned labs.
- Maintain, clean and regularly update inventory equipment used in assigned labs.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and functional laboratory for use in assigned labs.
- Prepare all necessary reagents, solutions, apparatus, demonstrations, etc., relating to department instrumentation.
- Oversee labs in the absence of the technician in charge as assigned by the supervisor.
- Run, maintain, and make repairs to laboratory equipment, special apparatus for the teaching labs.
- Maintain and supervise the operation of instruments assigned by the Department. Instruct technicians, research students and faculty on the proper use of equipment.
- Attend local instrument seminars given by manufacturers.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of instrument accessories.
- Assist in the acquisition and maintenance of the chemical and equipment inventory.
- Order materials for assigned labs and programs.
- Perform other duties related to and necessary for the safe and efficient functioning of the department as assigned.
The CLT may work nights and weekends on a periodic basis as needed by the department.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
- Obtain training and licenses required to conduct jobs assigned by the department
- Obtain a Certificate of Fitness (C14) for maintaining a chemical laboratory from the FDNY
- Experience in supporting teaching lab, demonstrated use of equipment used in molecular biology and biochemistry, demonstrated ability to learn the use of complex equipment, and/ord demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team
Commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
April 29, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: College Laboratory Technician - Biological Sciences
Job ID: 16533
Full/Part Time: Full-Time