Staff Nurse - Office of Health Services
Provides professional nursing care and health services to students and staff. Identifies and treats health disorders and provides instruction in maintenance of good health and disease prevention.
There are two levels of this title (Level 1 and Level 2). Employees in Level 1 operate under general supervision; employees at Level 2 operate with limited supervision.
This specification describes typical assignments for this position; related duties may be assigned as needed.
Assignment Level 1
Meets individually with students and staff to perform independent nursing assessments. Performs diagnostic tests within the scope of practice. Identifies and treats health disorders in compliance with professional standards of practice, college policies and/or physician's orders.
- Refers students and staff to healthcare professionals and resources as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with City, State and Federal laws and regulations campus and university policies, and protocols.
- Determines if students have necessary required medical examinations, certifications and vaccinations, as required by law, for their program of study and any other school-related activity. May administer immunizations with documented standing doctors' orders.
- Documents and maintains accurate, confidential student and staff medical records and statistics. Completes documentation related to health status and services (such as immunization records) as required. Reviews documentation and assures accuracy and completeness. Answers authorized requests for information.
- Provides initial emergency care and first aid and/or referral as appropriate. Responds to on-campus emergencies as per campus policy.
- Serves as health educator and advocate for students, staff and the community.
- Tracks and maintains an adequate inventory of medical, pharmaceutical and office supplies. Stocks supplies and verifies expiration dates.
- Follows infection control protocols in performing work and handles equipment and chemicals according to CUNY's guidelines and other legal regulations for personal and environmental safety. Ensures proper disposal of work-related hazardous materials and waste.
- Acts as a resource to the College community regarding general health questions.
- Maintains a current knowledge of general nursing methods, practices and protocols, applying them appropriately.
- May participate with the College community in disaster and emergency preparedness activities.
- Performs other professional nursing activities as assigned by supervisors. May instruct and occasionally supervise nursing and support staff.
Assignment Level 2
Typical tasks, in addition to work performed at Level 1, are:
- Serves as a leader and participates in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating clinical, research, community outreach and educational activities at a College or unit. Collaborates and/or cooperates with internal and external stakeholders on health-related matters.
- Coordinates the organization, staffing and operational activities for all campus healthcare programs. Schedules healthcare coverage of office.
- Supervises and directs professional nursing and/or non-nursing staff. Participates in selection, assignment and evaluation of staff, including volunteer and student workers.
- Ensures compliance with all health-related regulations at the college relating to the nursing function, including applicable Federal, State and City laws and regulations.
- Obtains up-to-date information on changes in professional methods and standards that apply in CUNY's environment, advising management as needed. Implements current and new methods and standards, and safety and universal precaution standards, and ensures staff compliance.
- Oversees medical and office supply inventory with oversight of vendor issues.
- Participates in development of budgets. Monitors budgets and approves expenditures. Recommends budget adjustments as necessary.
- May prepare grant proposals and documentation, with appropriate support.
- Manages communications from the Nursing Unit to students, their families, staff, campus neighbors, medical professionals and outside agencies.
- Reviews and analyzes statistical data regarding campus health services. Reports health-related data required by government agencies. Prepares reports and recommends improvements in health services to management. Implements and monitors success of improvements and new programs.
Assignment Level 1
A license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State. This license must be maintained as current for the duration of employment.
Valid and current CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Assignment Level 2
In addition to requirements for Level 1:
- A minimum of five years' full-time related Nursing experience
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select "Employment", then select "Search Job Postings" and find JOB ID #16600. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
April 30, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Bronx Community College
Job Title: Staff Nurse - Office of Health Services
Job ID: 16600
Full/Part Time: Full-Time