Financial Aid Coordinator
Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid Systems, the Financial Aid Coordinator will perform reconciliation of student financial aid origination, disbursement and CUNYfirst errors. Additionally, the Financial Aid Coordinator will assist with counseling applicants and perspective students on financing their education at Brooklyn College, process applications in order for aid to be made available towards their outstanding balances and assist them in the application process as needed.
Typical duties of the incumbent will include but are not limited to:
- Reconcile student financial aid origination and disbursement rejections. Perform overrides and budget/income adjustments under the direction of the Associate Director as appropriate based on College guidelines.
- Assist with troubleshooting CUNYfirst system and student aid aggregate errors, including enrollment eligibility conflicts.
- Review and update student data daily and ensure financial aid is in compliance with Student Financial Aid regulations and CUNY policies.
- Coordinate the NYC Merit Scholarship program
- Perform Title IV verification for students selected by the Federal government (includes income verification, selective service compliance, default issues verifying immigration status, etc.) Verify student's satisfactory academic progress and degree requirements for state aid programs and federal title IV programs.
- Respond to inquiries from students in a timely fashion and maintain student and administrative records in accordance with CUNY Record & Retention policy. Serve as a liaison between the department and other college offices, as directed.
- Conduct financial aid workshops for students and parents as needed. Participate in college open house and orientation activities. Represent the department on financial aid programs off-campus as requested.
- Review aid application status, and advise students appropriately. Provide information on award eligibility.
- Participate in staff meetings and training sessions, seminars, and other professional development activities at the discretion of the director and/or senior staff.
Bachelor's degree is required.
- Two years of experience with CUNY financial aid systems is preferred
- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends required
- Ability to present information in a range of settings to a diverse group of individuals
- Exceptional organizational skills, interpersonal skills and interpersonal skills and attention to detail. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Possess computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, databases, etc.)
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to use judgment in handling confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and complex work environment. Carry out assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Coordinates financial aid procedures and activities and provides financial aid information.
- Schedules workshops, reviews applications, establishes pay cycles, disburses funds and resolves disbursement problems, and records awards, disbursements and returns
- Coordinates, verifies and resolves problems regarding the disbursement of scholarships and grants by verifying student eligibility, establishing pay cycles and reviewing pay-outs
- Reconciles accounting and disbursement schedules
- Provides data for financial aid and donor reports as needed
- Supports the College's enrollment management efforts by providing financial aid information to prospective students, their families and their high school counselors
- Serves as liaison between the college and direct loan providers
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Coordinator
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$39,282 - $48,210* Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
*Salary subject to the new contract implementation.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online by clicking on "Apply Now" below. In order to be considered, applicants must upload their cover letter (referenced Job ID # 16581), resume, and contact information (name, phone number, and email address) for three references in rtf, doc or pdf format.
April 30, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Brooklyn College
Job Title: Financial Aid Coordinator
Job ID: 16581
Full/Part Time: Full-Time