Social Media Manager
Under direct supervision from the Director of Communications, the Social Media Community Manager is a vital part of the University’s Marketing Division and Communications team and assists in the development and implementation of social media communication and strategies targeted to engage key audiences through digital channels. This position will work closely with other members of the University Communications team, as well as other members of the Marketing Division and other departments, to ensure that priorities and deadlines are being met. The role also includes day-to-day management of accounts including, but not limited to, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, third party review sites, etc. In addition, the incumbent will assist with written and video segments for Brandman content. The Social Media Community Manager will also be responsible for organizing and producing digital content such as videos and photos specific to target audiences. He or she will also assist the Communications team with administrative responsibilities to ensure functional operation of the team.
Primary responsibilities include: Maintaining and growing Brandman's social media channels and other digital media projects; customer service support and community building/engagement via social media; ensuring integrated messaging and compatible branding in social media platforms and writing copy. Responsible for staying informed about trends in social media and bringing them to the attention of the communications and marketing teams. Additional responsibilities include photography and assistance in filming video for a wide variety of audiences.
TYPE OF SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Direct supervision from the Director of Communications. General Guidance from the Executive Vice Chancellor of Marketing
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create long-term and short-term strategic plans and goals for community engagement through social media.
- Create and manage social media posting calendar based on short term and long term strategies.
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of social media programs; analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results. Regularly report on insights gained from social media monitoring.
- Identify target audiences, coordinate with digital marketing on larger initiatives that include paid social advertising.
- Daily management of the University’s social media sites including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and You Tube. Provide recommendations for new opportunities as they arise. Reputation management as the official voice of Brandman University on social media. Carry out message development and distribution that supports the mission and values of Brandman University.
- Promote the University internally and externally through social media.
- Connect and build University communities through a variety of communication vehicles including blogs and social media.
- Maintain consistent best practices and adhere to the Code of Ethics for Brandman content.
- Provide copywriting, photography/videography and event support as needed.
- Be an advocate for social media. Work with others in the university community to maximize its potential. Produce and/or coordinate strong visuals, including video, still photography and graphics.
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
An ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- A solid understanding of how social media and interactive communication develop the University brand
- A passion for social media and an understanding of the need for both immediacy and accuracy.
- Be proactive and an early adopter who is the first to know what is up and coming and make recommendations for new opportunities
- Excellent written communications skills. Writing samples required (i.e. social media posts press releases, blog posts, etc.)
- Excellent visual editing skills, including video and still photography and graphic design.
- A positive attitude at all times, particularly when representing the University online, a high regard for reputation management and patience and understanding that social media can sometimes serve as the front line in customer service.
- An ability to identify and develop interesting content from within the University’s 26 campus network, as well as topics relevant to our community members such as higher education, financial aid, career advice, etc.Team player who is willing to tackle the unexpected, embrace change and work cooperatively in diverse group situations.
- An ability to work independently while coordinating with others in Marketing and Communications.
Previous Experience and Qualifications:
- 2-4 years professional social media work, good writing skills, a demonstrated enthusiasm and history of professionalism on social media sites (personal and/or professional).
- Experience managing a brand’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube platforms, including the integration of tools and third-party applications. Experience managing multiple social media accounts within platforms.
Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor's Degree (B.A./B.S.) required – Preferred study in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or Liberal Arts.
- Advanced knowledge of how to leverage and measure social networking sites, tools, plugins, video & photo sharing sites, web analytics, etc.
- Ability to take photos and videos, using high end photography and videography equipment provided, is a plus.
- Familiarity with photo / video editing techniques is a plus.
- Exposure to Public Relations function is a plus.
Machines, Tools, Equipment, Electronic Devices and Software:
- Must know Microsoft Office Suite: Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Access, and Publisher.
- Experience with social media management software.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Must be comfortable with mobile devices and tablets.