Under the general direction of the Systems Manager, this position provides support for applications, services and servers at all Brandman University locations. This position is responsible for the setup, installation, configuration, upgrading, and evaluation phases of providing applications, services, and servers for customer use. Provide technical, instructional, and administrative support to Brandman University constituencies related to applications, services, and servers.
TYPE OF SUPERVISION RECEIVED: General direction from the Systems Manager
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions: 100% of time
- Manage application and server backups across the enterprise, including on premises (Hyper-V and VMware) and cloud (AWS)
- Diagnose, replace, upgrade, and repair applications, services, and servers for Windows and Linux.
- Install new, upgrade existing, and troubleshooting application, service, or server related issues.
- Use and maintain tools such as SCCM, SCVMM, and SCOM to manage operating system patching, and enterprise services.
- Write and maintain PowerShell scripts for reporting and system automation.
- Handle technical inventories, shipping logistics, and equipment organization.
- Perform work in accordance with systems diagrams, both in-house and on-site.
- Create and maintain training documentation for team members supporting applications and services. Continuously assess all documented processes for improvements.
- Provide high quality support to university customers. Work with teams and team members to provide our customers an excellent experience.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience and knowledge in Cloud hosting instance management and creation (AWS).
- Experience and knowledge of PowerShell and the ability to write scripts for automation or reporting purposes.
- Experience and knowledge of Linux and using a Linux Shell (RHEL, Bash).
- Experience and advanced knowledge understanding of server virtualization technologies (Hyper-V).
- Experience and knowledge of Cluster/Highly Available environments (Hyper-V).
- Experience and advanced knowledge of Windows Server and Desktop Operating Systems.
- Experience and advanced knowledge of VDI and technologies used in support of virtual desktops (Hyper-V, RDS).
- Experience and knowledge in the Office 365 environment.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of, including proven experience, in using applications, servers, and services.
- 3+ years of application, server maintenance experience, supporting service desk staff using enterprise tools such as SCCM, SCVMM, and SCOM.
- Experience and knowledge of industry trends and best practices, including knowledge in using Microsoft technologies.
- Proven ability to exercise independent thinking and judgment to carry out duties in a timely manner, even when faced with interruptions, distractions, and fluctuating workload.
- Strong commitment to customer service and teamwork
- Technical Certifications (Examples: MCITP, A+, etc.)
- Prior experience providing support in an academic environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, CIS, MIS, or Business Administration and/or relevant experience.
Knowledge and Education:
- Experience and advanced knowledge of fundamental operations, problem diagnosis and correction of relevant computer software, hardware, audio visual and other equipment.
- Ability to create and understand schematic diagrams, and system diagrams.
- Knowledge and experience of customer service practices.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.