Head Men's Basketball Coach
Haverford College, a highly selective liberal arts college competing in the Centennial Conference (NCAA Div. III), seeks to hire a full-time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Head Men’s Basketball Coach. This position reports to the Director of Athletics and carries responsibility for all aspects of a competitive Division III Men’s Basketball program, including but not limited to: planning and executing all practices; game day coaching; recruitment of qualified student-athletes; scheduling; budget management; fundraising activities; and adhering to all NCAA, Conference and College rules. Additional administrative duties will be assigned.
Essential Functions and Primary Responsibilities:
- Conduct practices and games. Responsible for communication/coordination with the Strength & Conditioning Coach
- Enforce departmental policies and team rules as to travel and conduct both on and off the field
- Supervise and Evaluate Assistant Coaches
- Maintain liaison with college and athletic administrators, trainers and SID as appropriate for a head coach. Maintain communication with faculty liaison
- All Full Time athletic personnel must attend monthly College Administrative Professional Staff meetings, athletic staff meetings as scheduled, weekly athletic logistics meetings, other special college meetings as announced, and Conference meetings
- Adherence to all regulations of the College, Centennial Conference, and NCAA
- Demonstrate success in the recruiting of student athletes who meet both the academic and athletic standards of Haverford College and its Basketball Program
- Operate within a budget that covers all operational costs of the program. Additional team fundraising activities, as approved by the Athletic Director, may be overseen to supplement special team gear and/or trips
- Represent Haverford at all times in a professional manner including dealings with officials and opposing coaches
- Continued and consistent communication with alumni
- Scheduling of all non-conference opponents in a manner that meets both budgetary and competitive goals
- Support of community service programs for student athletes
- 1st Aid, CPR, AED Certified
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Education, Training & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Prior coaching and recruiting experience in Basketball at the College level is required
- College playing experience strongly preferred.
- Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain PA Act 153 Child Abuse Clearances
- Possession of a valid drivers’ license, and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check
- Evening and weekend hours as required
- First Aid/CPR/AED certification is required.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): three to six hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): three to six hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): up to three hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their application to include a resume and cover letter, to include the names and contact information for three (3) references, via this link (https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=367072). For full consideration, please apply by Monday, April 10, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.