Director of Library & Learning Commons
Director of Library & Learning Commons
Library & Learning Commons
Chief Academic Officer
AUH and DXB (primary location—DXB)
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
The Director of the Library and Learning Commons is responsible for the overall planning, budgeting, direction and leadership for the ZU Libraries and Learning Commons (LLC), including the delivery of library services and programs, and the oversight of the Libraries’ technology-equipped learning spaces. The Director ensures continuous innovation and the delivery of excellent user experience. He/she interacts and collaborates with faculty and administration in shaping these resources and services to embody the ZU Libraries' commitment to transformational teaching, learning and research in a technology-rich environment.
Managing, Leading and Developing
- Lead the overall management of the LLC including ensuring a professional approach across campuses and ensuring high quality, professional and user-focused library service and instruction to the academic community.
- Make ongoing improvements to systems, processes, policies and procedures to ensure the effective operation and service delivery.
- Effectively manage the Abu Dhabi and Dubai Campus libraries operations and human capital within University policies, guidelines and protocols.
- Monitor collection-building and use of electronic databases and, where necessary, make adjustments.
- In consultation with the various academic units, direct and oversee the information literacy program provided by the library, including the provision of teaching, training and program design. Encourage and support employees to help students improve information literacy skills and use library resources to maximum advantage.
- Devise strategies to increase library usage and create an inviting library environment, continually striving to provide highest level of customer service.
- Ensure adoption and integration of emerging tools into delivery of information and services to keep up with the current trends and new technologies for research, teaching, and learning.
- Working closely with the Director of the Learning Commons program, support the LLC’s development of a learning commons program to meet the evolving learning, studying, research, and content creation needs of the 21st Century student.
Committees, Relationships, and Representation
- Lead the LLC’s participation in the University’s planning and budgeting processes and its senior administrative teams to ensure effective, efficient and integrated library operations.
- Oversee the strategy for maintaining a highly effective and efficient library facility in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, overseeing maintenance of the facilities and their designs.
- Establish and maintain strong connections with faculty, academic chairs, program coordinators, in Abu Dhabi and Dubai including meeting regularly with faculty to discuss and understand their requirements, enabling the library to serve their needs in the best possible manner.
- Represent the library to visitors and the external community, maintaining professional awareness and close links with academic libraries in the UAE, the region and internationally.
- Ensure that the library’s users are aware of the capabilities of its technology-enabled spaces and services; Collaborate with other managers and administrators in supporting the full range of Commons services.
Technology and Collection Development
- Ensure that technology is embraced and utilized as an appropriate tool for information access and is leveraged by the library to provide wide access in a cost-effective fashion. Coordinating access to information resources in multiple formats with the collections development and facilitating access to information resources held elsewhere.
- Develop and maintain, in conjunction with the Computing Services Department, appropriate and accessible computer resources in the library.
Policies and Procedures
- Develop and implement library policies and procedures in line with University’s strategic direction and vision.
- Formulate budget plan for operations and acquisitions (including library and capital needs, department expenditures, salaries, resources and infrastructure required for the library to provide the best services to students and faculty, etc.) that is consistent with and supportive of the University’s strategic plan.
DEGREE OF INDEPENDENCE/COMPLEXITY OF ENVIRONMENT
- Oversees all aspects of the LLC and works independently.
- Has decision-making authority and responsibility for campus library operations and in other areas as assigned.
- Works on budget requests, policies, employee issues, proposals and other administrative functions ensuring policies, procedures and actions are appropriately followed.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS/IMPACT OF INTERACTIONS
- Works closely with the other campus libraries, technical services and other units in the preparation and implementation of plans and proposals.
- Interacts closely with faculty, staff and students to understand and meet their requirements.
- Initiates contact and maintains good relations with University Colleges and other departments.
- Represents the library to external visitors and agencies
- Maintains links with ZU libraries, other university libraries, professional associations, and institutions to keep abreast of latest developments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A Master’s degree in Library Science (Ph.D. preferred) from a program accredited by the American Library Association or a recognized equivalent degree plus a minimum of ten years of library experience combined with demonstrated success in leadership and management responsibilities, preferably in an academic library or an equivalent combination of education, skills or experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent management and leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated record of engagement with a user community and commitment to creative, high-quality library services and facilities.
- Knowledge of applications of current and emerging technologies that contribute to meeting the needs of students and faculty.
- Experience with the library information technology infrastructure and reference service.
- Demonstrated administrative skills that translate plans into reality.
- High level writing skills that produce clear reports and persuasive proposals.
- Ability to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Leadership & Managerial Accountability - Engages others to work together towards a shared vision and common goals; makes effective decisions, achieve outcomes and results, analysis and judgment skills and planning and monitoring ability. Able to represent the CIO and library to external visitors.
Communication - Must be able to communicate effectively with university faculty, staff, students and administrators.
Interpersonal Effectiveness - Acts as a ZU ambassador and effective role model; builds effective and collegial working relationships both within the Department through-out the ZU and external communities
Ability to communicate and influence - Able to share information in an effective & collaborative manner, both verbally and in writing.
Customer Focused - Demonstrates a spirit of service excellence and commitment to pro-active customer relations and service.
Results & Action Orientation - Demonstrates initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes. Analytical and creative problem resolution abilities. Commercial and financial acumen.
Builds Effective Interpersonal Relationships -Demonstrates interpersonal effectiveness in the workplace. Cultural adaptability. Flexible, adaptable and patient.
Knowledge & Technical Competency - Demonstrates proficiency in technical and job knowledge aspects of the position to achieve high level of performance. Able and willing to learn.
The Benefits - The University’s benefits package is highly attractive: competitive salaries free of tax in the United Arab Emirates; housing; furniture allowance; annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family; educational subsidies for eligible children; subsidized healthcare for the employee and sponsored family members.
To Apply - Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
Review Process - Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled. For full consideration of your application, please send the materials no later than May 20, 2017.
Anticipated Commencement Date: August 2017.
Statements in this document are intended to reflect, in general, the role and responsibilities of the position and are not to be interpreted as totally inclusive.