Human Resources Business Partner/Employee Relations Specialist #S03296
Human Resources Business Partner/Employee Relations Specialist ( HR Business Partner)
$64,417.60 - $87,110.40 annually
Updated job posting
Open until filled, with the initial review of online applications beginning April 13, 2017.
Montgomery College has need for a full-time, Human Resources Business Partners (HRBP) in the Human Resources/Strategic Talent Management department. Position #S03296 is an HRBP/Employee Relations Specialist. The normal work schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00p.m.
The Business Partner serves as a critical Human Resources (HR) consultant to the Senior Vice Presidents (SVP), their administrative leadership team, and other managers within the division by providing both HR strategic and operational guidance and direction. To achieve this, the HRBP will have a broad and deep understanding of the division's mission, goals and strategy. As a professional "generalist," the Business Partner has comprehensive and extensive knowledge in the fundamentals of all functional areas of HR, and therefore, serves as a knowledge/thinking - partner and decision-making resource for the leaders and managers they serve. The HR Business Partner also serves as the outreach and liaison entity for central HR, with the knowledge and capacity to respond to inquiries and provide information, guidance, and direction regarding the special functional areas of: Benefits, Compensation, Employment, Employee Relations, Organizational Development (OD), Records, and Labor Relations. The Business Partners enable the division's managers and supervisors to more effectively meet the demands of their responsibilities. Within the Business Partner Team individual members may serve as the team's lead in key HR outreach/service areas given their respective expertise and background. Examples of this include: Employee Relations, Recruitment, Assessment & Metrics, etc.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Partners and collaborates with Labor Relations staff, in developing strategy and engaging in interventions to address employee relations issues at multiple levels and stages throughout the College.
- Manages and resolves employee relations issues.
- Conducts effective, and thorough mediation to reduce escalation to grievance level.
- Provides performance management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions and performance evaluations.
- Provides general education and guidance to employees and managers on employment laws, collective bargaining agreements and College policies
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Partners with the legal department as needed/required.
- Maintains currency in employment laws, College policies and collective bargaining agreements with the ability to analyze, interpret and convey information to managers, supervisors and employees.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Provides collective bargaining agreements and HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- Responds to inquiries and provides fundamental information and guidance regarding the special functional areas of: Benefits, Compensation, Employment, Employee Relations, Organizational Development, Records, and Labor Relations.
- Conducts recurring meetings with respective business units.
- Consults with management, providing HR guidance when appropriate.
- Provides input, guidance, and direction to SVPs and their division's administrative leadership on all aspects of strategic initiatives impacting people, including: business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Working in partnership with OD director and specialist, conducts organizational assessments to determine needs and strategies and interventions to address them.
- Identifies, provides, and/or arranges training and development for business units as needed.
- Participates in evaluation and monitoring of unit's training and development programs to ensure success. Follows-up to ensure objectives and outcomes are met.
- Monitors the pulse of the division units and the people within them to address issues or needs, fostering a high level of employee engagement.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years of human resources experience as a specialist or generalist.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification or ability to obtain within six months.
- Experience in at least two functional areas of human resources, such as employee/labor relations, recruitment, benefits, compensation, or training and development.
- Thorough knowledge of two or more functional areas of human resources, particularly employee/labor relations.
- Working knowledge of employment law; ability to obtain knowledge of College policies and procedures and appropriate collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to:
- serve as a credible subject matter expert and advisor to executive leadership;
- independently arrive at sound decisions through analysis and evaluation;
- maintain confidentiality; interpret and explain policies, procedures, regulations, etc.;
- remain current in human resources trends, topics, and issues; manage and set priorities and meet deadlines;
- write high-level analytical reports and other forms of communication; and
- effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Master's degree or Juris Doctorate
- Mediation Certification/Conflict Resolution Certification
Application Process :
- The initial review of online applications will begin on April 13, 2017.
- To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
email@example.com at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Administration & Fiscal Services
Primary Location US-MD-Rockville
Organization Human Resources & Strategic Talent Management
Job Posting Mar 30, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
Unposting Date Apr 13, 2017, 10:59:00 PM