ASSISTANT PROGRAM DIRECTOR/RESEARCHER
JOB NO.: 90085-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Management/Supervisory, Research, Scientific, Other
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90085-AS
Working Title: Assistant Program Director/Researcher
Official Title: RESEARCHER(E05DN) or ASSOC RESEARCHER(E05FN) or ASST RESEARCHER(E05LN)
Hiring Department: A177500-SCHOOL OF EDUCATION/WCER
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Advertised Salary: Minimum $55,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization: Ph.D in Education, Cognitive Science, Learning Sciences, Developmental Psychology, or related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience in an educational or social science research setting (graduate program experience is acceptable).
Demonstrated interest and experience in research in one or more of the following:
* Program planning for scholarly audiences
* Conference or grant proposal peer review process
* Research on teaching and teachers
* Classroom research
* Educational psychology
* Experience conducting qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods analyses of education/social science data including work with large datasets
* Analyzing video data
* Proven experience in independent and collaborative academic writing in education research, including manuscripts for peer-reviewed conference and journal publication as well as technical reports
* Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented and ability to effectively prioritize multiple priorities and responsibilities
* Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and initiate tasks without close supervision
* Ability to collaborate effectively and work well in teams
Preferred Skills & Experience:
* Experience organizing scholarly workshops
* Experience conducting independent and collaborative research
Knowledge of any of the following:
* research literature on teaching, pre-service teacher education, in-service teacher professional development, teacher beliefs, cognitive principles of instruction
* Graduate-level training in research design, quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques
Position Summary: The Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral level scholar who can support the functioning of a new research program, Chaired by Professor Mitchell Nathan (Educational Psychology/Learning Sciences), and funded by the James S. McDonnell Foundation, to promote research on "Understanding Teacher Change and Teachers as Learners in K-12 Classrooms" (https://www.jsmf.org/apply/teachers-as-learners/). This includes correspondences with the members of the James S. McDonnell Foundation (JSMF) JSMF organization, members of the expert advisory board, funded investigators, and interested applicants. Duties will include budgeting. Program management duties are expected to occupy 25% of this full time position, and will increase and decline seasonally to match proposal due dates, advisory board meetings, etc.
In addition to program management, this scholar will participate in education research under Professor Nathan's direction, investigating teaching and learning in classrooms and laboratory settings, the design and experimental and qualitative study of the influence of evidence-based interventions on teaching and learning performance, as well as the dissemination of research findings. This scholar will join one of the largest education research centers in the United States. Research duties are expected to occupy 75% of this full time position.
The overarching goals of this position are to: (a) provide thoughtful administrative support for carrying out the various elements of successfully conducting an education research grants program for a modest amount of investigators and proposals, and (b) design, conduct and disseminate rigorous empirical research and development efforts aimed at improving our understanding of teachers as learners and implementers of education research.
Contact: Mary Hegge
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants: To apply for this position please submit a cover letter addressed to Professor Mitchell Nathan as well as a CV. Applicants will be asked to fill out a form listing three professional references with contact information.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 31 Mar 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 28 Apr 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time