Large Animal Hospital Surgical Technician I or II
Large Animal Hospital Surgical Technician I or IIJob Description:
The University of Florida, Large Animal Hospital is recruiting for a Large Animal Hospital Surgical Technician 1or 2
- The primary role of this position is to provide assistance to clinicians with routine and emergency surgery for patients in the Large Animal Hospital.
- In support of this role the incumbent will be responsible for maintaining the operating rooms and managing the sterile supply functions related to them.
- This is a physically demanding position that requires standing for long periods of time.
- Incumbent will be expected to acquire and retain a working knowledge of surgical instruments, medical terminology, veterinary anatomy and physiology, sterile technique and de-contamination procedures.
- He/she will be called upon to disassemble and assemble various types of surgical instruments and equipment as well as aide in the use of that equipment.
- This is a position that requires a motivated, well-organized and caring individual with experience with horses primarily, but also includes caprine, camelid, ovine, bovine and occasionally exotic patients.
Starting salary is $14.00 to $16.00, depending on qualifications and experience.Minimum Requirements:
Lg An Hosp Surgical Tchn I
High school diploma and two years of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses or one year of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital. Certification or licensure as a Veterinary Technician preferred.
Lg An Hosp Surgical Tchn II
High school diploma and four years of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses or two years of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital; and certification or licensure as a Veterinary Technician.Preferred Qualifications:
- Physical ability and stamina to job, flex and lunge horses throughout the workday
- Demonstrated knowledge of pharmacology and drug reactions, doses and usage
- Ability to perform calculations for fluids rates and drugs
- Working knowledge of normal and abnormal values for lab work and their indications
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to maintain effective working relationships with clinicians, coworkers, students and clients
- Capable of assisting in patient placement for imaging including MRI
Background check will be required. No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Expected work hours are typically an 8-hour shift between 7am and 7pm. Will require regular participation in rotating "on-call duty", filling in alternate shifts and holidays.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.Health Assessment Required: Yes