Residential Communities Coordinator
Residential Communities Coordinator
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College seeks a creative, team player to fulfill the duties of Residential Communities Coordinator (RCC). The RCC is a live-in position that collaborates with students, faculty, and staff in developing residential experiences that foster a sense of community and opportunities for personal growth of community members. As a member of The Office of Student Engagement, RCCs commit to developing student leaders that are ready to engage in a diverse, global world. Reporting dually to the Assistant Director of Residential Education for all aspects related to residential education and to the Assistant Director of Student Activities and Leadership for all aspects related to collateral assignments and student activities, the RCC will serve in many capacities including: community builder, educator, supervisor, and collaborator. In these roles the RCC helps to shape the quality of the co-curricular experience for all students.
The RCC will provide direct supervision to a portion of the Resident Assistants (RA) and indirect supervision to all Resident Assistants (RA) during on-call crisis response situations. Responsibilities include assisting with recruitment, selection, and training development of RAs; assisting RAs with conflict mediation and professional development; assessing RA job performances; coordinating and inspiring programming within the residential halls and across the community more generally; assisting with facilities management; sharing on-call duties and emergency responses with the Deans staff. In addition, the RCC will assist with advising student organizations and be tasked with creating programs that promote student engagement, academic success, personal and shared responsibility, and identity development for all community members, especially students. Applicants for this position must be willing to live on the Swarthmore college campus and be available for evening and weekend responsibilities and activities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in counseling services, social work, or a related field.
- At least two (2) years experience in student affairs or with student development in a college/university setting, with a preference for a liberal arts setting.
- Advanced degree in counseling services, social work, or a related field.
- Demonstrated student leadership experience within a college liberal arts setting, training in intergroup dialogue, and/or conflict mediation.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and departmental development, professionalism, multicultural education, creativity, collaboration, and initiative.
- Discretion and sound judgment required in dealing with confidential and sensitive student issues and communication with all campus constituencies and outside constituencies (including parents).
- Strong attention to detail; strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, often under deadlines; ability to work as a team member to build strong working relationships within OSE and the greater Dean's division, across campus and in the broader community; ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Must be able to reports for scheduled work shifts in a dependable and timely fashion and work required on-call rotation, evening and weekends as needed.
- Occasionally works as authorized essential staff during identified campus emergencies as needed.
This is a 11-month, live-in, full-time position.
Please apply through our web site at http://www.swarthmore.edu under Human Resources and Employment Opportunities.
Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.