Director of Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer CVPA
George Mason University
Director of Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer – CVPA
George Mason University College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) seeks an experienced financial management professional to serve as Director of Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer – CVPA. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The enterprises that CVPA manages have an annual operating budget of approximately $30 million (not including capital projects) with over 200 full-time faculty and staff. The enterprises include the college's seven academic units (enrolling about 1,500 majors) as well as the professional presenting and producing activities of the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center, facilities rental of the two centers, and the Arts Support Umbrella, which works with academic departments on student and faculty exhibitions, concerts, recitals and productions.
CVPA also manages The Potomac Arts Academy, a community arts school offering instruction in almost all CVPA disciplines, the Green Machine, and the Virginia Serious Game Institute (VSGI), which is a business incubator for start-up companies in the Computer Game Design field. VSGI also includes the Mason Game and Technology Academy, which is a preparatory school for Computer Game Design programs.
- Provides overall leadership and management of CVPA's budget development, finance and human resources;
- Works collaboratively with CVPA's deans and directors and central university administration to design and implement innovative and effective improvements in CVPA's financial and administrative strategy, infrastructure, and processes;
- Plays a leadership role in ensuring the successful future of CVPA's multifaceted mission;
- Reports to the Dean of the CVPA and supervises a staff of nine full- and part-time people; and
- While not required, opportunities exist for teaching in the Arts Management program or other CVPA disciplines as appropriate.
- A Master's degree in business, accounting, or a related field;
- Significant experience (minimum five years is strongly desired) successfully leading, developing, implementing and managing financial and administrative policies and procedures in an academic and/or arts setting;
- Collaborative management style and high comfort level working in team-dependent environments with special attention to lateral coordination;
- Significant knowledge of and experience with not-for-profit accounting; and
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in a professional not-for-profit arts organization is a significant advantage;
- Ability to think creatively to ensure both compliance with appropriate regulations and advancing the mission of the College extremely helpful; and
- Experience working in a state academic setting a plus.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA219z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by April 14, 2017; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.