Media Communications Specialist - College of Engineering Administration (A1700185)
Media Communications Specialist
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Media Communications Specialist. This position will develop and execute long-term marketing strategies that drive enrollment in engineering programs as well as develop and implement projects that market the College more generally, including advancement and large-scale, externally funded research programs. The Media Communications Specialist reports to the Director of the Engineering Communications Office who reports to the Executive Director for Marketing and Communications for the College of Engineering. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Cultivate and foster effective communications with various groups, including prospective and current students, faculty, alumni, industry partners, government agencies, and external vendors.
- Work closely with colleagues to articulate, refine, and amplify the college brand.
- Tell a story and drive home key marketing messages; develop the idea, write it up, and design it out.
- Work on a variety of digital and traditional platforms; develop new and interesting ways to use those platforms.
- Develop analytics data, implement decisions based on that data, and experiment aggressively to make the most of it.
- Move quickly and flexibly, work on projects simultaneously, and resolve complex situations.
- Evaluate and implement communication strategies to deliver targeted messages to defined audiences using advertising, electronic and print publications, media relations, multimedia projects, electronic communication technologies, and other vehicles.
- Provide writing, interviewing and research, editorial, and other services in support of print and electronic projects.
- Supervise student workers including delegating work, reviewing completed tasks, developing strategies for and providing guidance to student workers.
- Stay informed on current communications and marketing trends and new technology.
- Perform other duties or projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Advertising or a related field
- 1 year of marketing experience working with at least one type of marketing media (web, email, direct mail, etc.)
- Experience with digital storytelling and marketing writing
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Experience with digital design and/or video production
- Working knowledge of publishing applications and software such as Adobe CS (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, Dreamweaver)
- Experience with data analysis and market research
The Media Communications Specialist is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by April 16, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman, email@example.com, 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Engineering Administration
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 03/30/2017