Transportation Systems & Data Analyst
Requisition # 2017-7320
Department Transportation & Parking Svcs
Category Campus and Auxiliary Services
Date Posted 3/30/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University currently has enrolled approximately 7,900 students (5,300 undergraduates and 2,600 graduate students) and employs approximately 6,100 benefits-eligible employees. The University Services division is made up of seven units; Campus Dining, Campus Venue Services, Conference and Event Services, Housing and Real Estate Services, Print and Mail Services, Transportation and Parking Services, and University Services Administration.
Transportation and Parking Services (TPS) supports the parking and campus transportation programs. TPS is responsible for all Transportation Demand Management (TDM) programs—including the transit commuter subsidy, bike and carshare programs, car and van pools—as well as assigning and permitting university parking, event support, parking enforcement, and the campus shuttle system.
Reporting to the Director of Transportation and Parking Services (TPS) and the Associate Director, Information Technology, the Transportation Systems and Data Analyst serves as the lead administrator for all technology and data analytics used by the department. This position plays a pivotal role in improving departmental systems operational efficiency through the use of existing and new technology. The Transportation Systems and Data Analyst role, through the use of intelligent transportation systems and programs, is expected to develop the analytical framework, data architecture, applications and tools for data-driven decision making. This position will be responsible for creating and interpreting analytic tools and dashboards to enhance the University's parking and transportation programs and efficient and effective service supporting the mission of Transportation and Parking Services.
The successful candidate will need to develop a strong understanding of the functions of TPS, University Services IT (USIT), Office of Informational Technology (OIT) and other University departments, as well as the rapidly advancing and innovative industries of transportation and parking.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
- Serve as the data steward for parking and transit data, ensuring data security, integrity and adequate documentation of metadata. Develop and maintain proficiency in advanced analytic and database tools, internet-based resources, and in-house data. Develop and present accurate, methodologically rigorous analysis utilizing data query language (e.g., SQL), data visualization software (e.g., Tableau), statistical packages (e.g., R), report-writing tools (e.g., Crystal Reports), campus card transaction systems (e.g., CSGold, CCURE) and other appropriate technical applications. Develop and interpret self-service data sources, operational reports and interactive dashboards that facilitate intuitive end user reporting and analysis.
- Participate in and share expertise with University Services analytics project working groups as it relates to transportation and parking services. Share data analytics expertise with University Services central and embedded IT staff.
- Working with campus partners including Facilities, Office of Informational Technology, and Finance and Treasury, this position will investigate and recommend parking management technology, vendor services, application integration, customer process improvement opportunities, and policy solutions to Director, Deputy Director of TPS, and the Associate Director of USIT. Identify systems and programs (hardware and software) that will support the ongoing goals of the TPS strategic plan. Keep abreast of news and relevant industry trends in intelligent transportation systems in support of TPS. Ensure that all business applications comply with data integrity and security standards and develop end user documentation and training.
- This position will maintain and support the configuration of on premise and hosted IT services that support parking enforcement, vehicle permitting, passenger counting, lot capacity management, parking gate access control, ride-sharing and electronic communication, collaborating with OIT and USIT where necessary. Become an in-house expert of T2 parking system and several other applications, their interfaces, and database structures, documenting architecture and disaster recovery plans in the department knowledgebase when appropriate.
- The position will actively participate as a member of the Transportation and Parking Services leadership team on departmental issues. Works on special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and 3-5 years of hands-on experience in technology and data analytics, business analysis and design.
- Demonstrated experience and strong skills extracting data from multiple sources (e.g., SQL Server, Oracle, Access, hosted web services), joining and preparing the data with reporting and business intelligence tools (e.g. Crystal Reports).
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency at planning and setting meaningful objectives to meet office goals.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; as well as strong initiative and self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and manage teams within a customer-service oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgement.
- Demonstrated excellent written/oral/interpersonal communication skills in order to: identify and articulate business challenges, project objectives, and analytical approach.
- Demonstrated organizational skills to handle several projects simultaneously, accommodate shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, work with details and collaborate in a diverse university environment.
- Demonstrated problem solver and ability to work with a team.
- Experience in higher education or transportation industry or a related/equivalent organization.
- Knowledge of systems architecture, application development lifecycle and data modeling.
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office, with particular knowledge of Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Tableau and Cognos.
- Experience in transportation and parking management and related, systems (e.g., T2, TransLoc) or other management systems.
- Experience with transportation dashboards with sustainability metrics.
- Experience working with intelligent transportation systems (ITS).
The final candidate must complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.