Telephone Specialist I
Requisition # 2017-7323
Department Support Services
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 3/30/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University's Office of Information Technology (OIT) is seeking a Telephone Specialist 1 to join its Support Services team. OIT, with its diverse staff of approximately 300 employees, is responsible for the central information technologies, resources and infrastructure that support the University's research, teaching and administrative missions.
The Telephone Specialist 1 assists other technicians install and maintain the analog, digital and VoIP telephone systems on campus. The Telephone Specialist 1 has a general understanding of telephone technology, cable color codes and troubleshooting techniques for resolving installation problems. The Specialist may be asked to work on special projects requiring overtime. This is a two year term position.
- Assist other technicians with the installation of inside wire cabling, splicing, and terminations
- Respond to customer requests and handle telephone inquiries in a timely, professional manner
- Manage multiple tasks and assignments
- Assist with analyzing and troubleshooting telecom issues
- Troubleshoot and resolve telephone installation problems
- Complete assigned telephone work orders and update record database
- Ability to use various hand tools and special telecom tools (such as, punch downs, snips, wire trippers, and cordless drill)
- Basic understanding of the technology used to support analog, digital and VoIP telephone installations
- Knowledge of telecommunications functionality and troubleshooting techniques
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Clear communication skills and the ability to support customers with varying levels of technical understanding
- An eagerness to learn new technology and skills to support evolving campus telephony needs
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures, uncomfortable conditions, and confined spaces
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs. of equipment
- Familiar with modern telephone network technologies (VoIP, Cisco)
- Proficient in the use of basic power tools
- Experience setting up network switches
- Familiarity with Cisco IP telephones
- Some experience programming telephone systems and peripheral equipment
- Telephone infrastructure
- VoIP telephones
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.