Chief Operating Officer
Working Title: Chief Operating Officer
Position Type: University Executive Staff
Department: Miller Center
Posting Date: 03-30-2017
The University of Virginia's Miller Center seeks a CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER (COO) to provide strategic and high-level operational direction, working directly with the Center's Director and CEO on strategic planning; planning and management integration; program evaluation; board, University, and other donor relations; strategic oversight of public events; alignment of internal resources; creation of new resources; and new initiatives. The COO will play a critical role in positioning the Center for its upcoming capital campaign and umbrella programmatic initiatives currently in development.
- Develop and implement short- and long-term goals to align Miller Center and its programs with its strategic plan
- Review strategic plan routinely, update it as milestones are reached, and revise it as necessary, in close consultation with Director and CEO
- Assist in board management, including planning and implementing board meetings and board development
- Develop and implement internal operating policies and regularly review internal operational structures
- Provide leadership for Management Team in long-term planning, program implementation, and day-to-day operations
- Develop and maintain a mastery of the Center, in whole and in parts, in order to operate with an informed big-picture view
- Undertake ongoing evaluation of Miller Center programs, considering allocation of resources, marketing potential, achievement of milestones, and overall feasibility
- Work collaboratively with functional areas such as budget and finance, human resources, and support services to enhance Center's effectiveness
- Cultivate effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- May supervise staff and interns
- Seven+ years of direct, progressive experience required in strategic planning, program evaluation, business management, marketing and market analysis, and board relations
- Experience in politics, public policy, think tanks, and/or higher education strongly preferred
- Advanced degree required, in history, political science, public policy, law, business, or a closely-related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with significant philanthropy required
- Demonstrated ability to identify areas in need of increased effectiveness and to achieve improvements in those areas
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, with excellent and engaging skills in written/oral communication required
- Demonstrated ability to handle competing priorities effectively, make judicious decisions under pressure, and maintain the big picture when immersed in details required
- Demonstrated ability to balance creativity and analysis in developing/implementing a plan required
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. political history/contemporary politics preferred
Visit https://job.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0620653. Complete a candidate profile and submit a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references. If you have questions about this position, contact Andrew Chancey at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position runs through June 1, 2020, with extension subject to need, performance, and the availability of funding. This search will close on April 19, 2017.
Established in 1975, the Miller Center specializes in presidential scholarship, public policy and political history. The Miller Center and its supporting 501(c)(3) foundation have an annual operating budget exceeding $8 million, endowment assets exceeding $70 million, and nearly 40 faculty and staff FTEs.
The UVa is an EO/AA employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81505