Treasury Accounting Manager
The Treasurer's Office has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the Vice President for Budget and Finance and is responsible for overall cash management, debt management and property management. It provides support and assistance to the campuses on financing strategies, real estate issues, banking relationships, and other investment-related issues.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that GASB is followed when recording financial transactions.
- Supervises one staff position - Treasury Accounting Professional.
- Seeks to remain informed and maintains current knowledge about the reporting requirements created by Federal, State, and university organizations, particularly with respect to investments and debt.
- Prepares and documents standard operating procedures for accounting and budget.
- Prepares cost/benefit and other evaluations for equipment and similar purchases.
- Reviews and approves transactions between the University and the University of Colorado Foundation.
- Establishes and inputs Foundation cash draw schedule.
- Prepares yearly gift report for the State of Colorado.
- Back up to the Treasury Accounting Professional.
- Accounts for new debt and refunding issuances, premium and deferred gain/loss schedules, and tracks and reports debt transaction postings.
- Records Bond 12/1 interest and 6/1 interest and principal payments.
- Records Internal Loans, keeps track of agreements and sends out amortization schedules.
- Initiates or approves electronic funds transfers through banking software platforms.
- Backs-up and supports Associate Director for Investments with daily cash position and daily postings.
- Reconciles and updates numerous externally-managed trusts.
- Assists departments in establishing quasi-endowments.
- Manages monthly, quarterly and annual tasks related to Treasury Pool Investment Earnings and budget allocations established by the Budget Office.
- Supervises reconciliation of financial accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepares and records distributions from trusts and other investment accounting on a monthly/quarterly or as needed basis.
- Oversees the preparation of audit confirmations.
- Prepares numerous investment and debt schedules for external auditors.
- Prepares the Pledged Revenue Report for the annual audit.
- Works closely with the Office of University Controller and external auditors to support the annual audit.
- Prepares schedules that support the Quarterly Treasury Report for the Board of Regents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in fund accounting.
- Knowledge in investment and debt accounting.
- Skilled in interpreting rules and regulations in regards to accounting, investments, and debt.
- Ability to effectively communicate to multiple levels of accounting professionals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relations with peers, colleagues, associates, administrative staff members, faculty, and with personnel of external agencies and organizations.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range has been established at $75,000- $85,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified System.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent specialized experience; (Comparable professional work experience may be substituted on a year for year basis for the educational requirement).
- Five (5) years experience in the accounting department of a large corporation or institution of higher education.
- Two (2) years of experience with investment and debt accounting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access database software).
- Previous experience using PeopleSoft software.
- Five (5) years experience in higher education and/or fund accounting.
- Ten (10) years of professional experience in accounting for a complex organization.
- Working toward, or completion of, a CPA, CTP or similar qualification.
- Experience with financial models, cost/benefits analysis and investment analysis.
- Previous supervisory experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by April 14, 2017. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by April 14, 2017.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50033 - Treasurer
Posting Date: Mar 30, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Elizabeth Nakahama
Posting Contact Email: Elizabeth.Nakahama@cu.edu
Position Number: 00550002