Academic Affairs Coordinator
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Academic Affairs Coordinator (Human Resources Senior Professional)
Position #696464 - Requisition 09022
The Department of Pediatrics is seeking to fill a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Academic Affairs Coordinator (Human Resources Senior Professional position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This position will be an integral part of the Academic Affairs (AA) team and assist in the day-to-day operations and functions of the AA office in the large and growing Department of Pediatrics (DOP), consisting of over 1,500 faculty, research, exempt professional and staff positions. Responsibilities include: analyzing job descriptions, recruitment and job postings for all positions in the DOP, education and training of faculty and administrative partners, and ongoing collaboration regarding process improvement strategies to support the growth and advancement of the Department.
Under the direction of the HR Manager, this position will develop, implement and maintain a streamlined process for best practices in the recruiting, job posting, hiring and on-boarding of new staff and research assistants/associates which will include training business managers and other section administration and staff. The position will assist in developing tools and resources for staff to ensure satisfaction with career development. This position is responsible for overseeing the collaborative recruitment and hiring of new faculty, Post-docs, paid clinical faculty, University staff and research assistants/associates to include: the search process, letters of offer; ensuring adherence to position details and commitments outlined.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Responsible for the day-to-day recruitment activities for the Department of Pediatrics.
- Enter and/or update position data in HCM and CU Careers.
- Works collaboratively with Central Human Resources to ensure all actions are accurate and approved.
- Ensures equity is maintained across individual sections and the department. Create a database to track salaries to ensure equity is maintained across all sections within the department.
- In conjunction with the HR Manager, develops and provides education and training to Section Heads, Principal Investigators, Business Managers and Business Administrative Coordinators in the recruitment process ensuring compliance with University and Regent fiscal policies.
- Ensures positions and funding are approved through discussions with necessary approvers.
- Generates letters of offer for all applicable hires to ensure appropriate language and commitments are included in the letters of offer.
- Reviews CV's/resumes, job descriptions, and organizational charts, as requested, to provide consultation and guidance to sections.
- Provide notary services for the DOP.
Unpaid Clinical Faculty:
- Review and process new Clinical Faculty Appointments.
- On-board new Clinical Faculty through UCD and CHCO (as applicable).
- Regularly assist with the maintenance of the Clinical Faculty files (paper and electronically).
- Stay abreast of regulations and procedures regarding the Clinical Faculty Process.
- Process Clinical Faculty promotions.
- Attend the Clinical Faculty Affairs Committee meetings.
Promotions and Tenure Process:
- Under the direction of the HR Manager and faculty leadership, facilitate the Annual Departmental Promotions and Tenure Meeting(s).
- Review annual presentation data with the Vice Chair of Academic Affairs and Promotions and Tenure Committee Chair.
- Develop and implement best possible dossier presentation for Departmental faculty according to the requirements of the School of Medicine and University policy.
- Create and disseminate faculty invitations to prepare promotions, tenure, mid-point review and post-tenure review dossiers and requests for referee letters.
- Participate in committee meetings and committee member reviews as directed by the Chair.
- Audit all dossiers (~60) and work with faculty on any necessary modifications in order to meet requirements prior to submitting to the School of Medicine.
- Assist the Vice-Chair and Chair with other faculty related issues as needed.
- Assure a high level of confidentiality is maintained during the promotion, tenure, mid-point and post-tenure review process.
- Work closely with the HR Manager to address the Departmental and Section needs in recruiting outside of CU Careers including resources such as Pediatric associations and conferences.
- Open Position reporting - develop and maintain an on-going report of recruitment and open positions within the Department to be used for recruiting needs, forecasting and retention.
- Assist with the development, education and training of section administration and staff regarding UCD & SOM policies and procedures for recruiting and hiring new staff and research assistants/associates.
- In conjunction with the HR Manager, regular review and evaluate department policies and procedures and provides suggestions regarding improvements.
Faculty Affairs: Works with Department Chair and Vice Chair of Academic Affairs in development and implementation of new and on-going projects:
- Mentoring Project - develop a centralized, comprehensive mentoring system monitored though Academic Affairs.
- Recruitment - develop a recruitment package that describes the promotions/tenure process to include SOM rules, mentoring policy, etc.
- PhD Faculty - assist Vice Chair and PhD Liaison with demographic assessment of the Department's PhD and non-MD doctorate faculty.
- Clinical Scholarship - formalize program to advise clinician-educator faculty on ways to turn their daily clinical and teaching work into scholarship recognized by the SOM.
- Faculty Handbook - assist Jr. Faculty Interest group in gathering and maintaining up-to-date information as well as assemble handbooks to distribute to all new faculty.
- Assist, as needed, with the annual base, salary and incentive letters generated by database and sent to all Department of Pediatrics faculty in accordance with entries on Table 1 and ensure accuracy.
- Administer pertinent State Fiscal Policies, State, UCD and UPI rules and procedures, and applicable State and Federal laws and standards applying to business management (personnel, accounting, auditing, etc.).
- Collaborate with HR Manager to develop and present to various business and administrative leaders to assist with process improvements and efficiencies.
- Process a variety of personnel forms and faculty/staff actions as needed.
- Perform other duties, tasks, and projects as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $54,000-$63,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's Degree in health administration, human resources or related field.
- Two (2) years of experience working in a high-level human resources, customer service environment.
Substitution: Experience in a relevant area may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal and sex offender background check.
- Must be willing and able to obtain a notary certification within 30 days of hire, as well as maintain and uphold notary guidelines and status.
- Experience consulting on recruitment needs, analyzing and reviewing job descriptions.
- Two (2) or more years of professional experience working in an academic setting, within the University of Colorado System, or a similar environment.
- Extensive experience working in a human resources field, i.e., recruiting, creating offer letters, onboarding, etc.
- Experience reviewing, developing, and implementing policies, procedures and processes.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess the ability to analyze problems and propose problem solving solutions. Must be able to assist faculty in problem solving and resolution.
- Knowledge of the Rules of the School of Medicine and the Policies of the Board of Regents as they apply to promotions, recruitment, terminations and malpractice are essential.
- Ability to manage and oversee daily operations of academic affairs functions in compliance with all related policies.
- Must have strong management abilities which may include high volume and stress situations.
- Must have a high-level interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize, coordinate and implement administrative functions and activities that apply to this role.
- The ability to work and think independently, be self-motivated, and detail oriented.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel, HCM, CU Careers and FIDO (Faculty Information Database Online).
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Teri Wilson at Teri.Wilson@childrenscolorado.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received within 2 weeks of the posting date. Those who do not apply within 2 weeks of the posting date may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Human Resources
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Mar 30, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Teri Wilson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00696464