Director, Office of Registration & Records
Functional Title Director, Office of Registration & Records
Position Type Administration - Staff
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management plans, organizes and manages the University's registration and student records programs. Interprets and applies federal and state guidelines and directs the preparation of a variety of narrative and statistical reports; develops and administers policies and processes pertaining to the overall student record keeping function of the University. Advises and responds to questions from University departments and external agencies and supervises management, academic professional and classified staff. The position works in the areas of University registration and records and serves as the University's chief FERPA Officer. Coordinates functions with University administrators, faculty, staff, students and external regulatory agencies.
The Director, Office of Registration & Records must be fully capable of planning independently for providing services to students and the greater campus community in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner and must be able to manage an office budget and provide guidance, motivation, and leadership to a staff of 25-30 employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains a strategic plan for enrollment services with a genuine commitment to student success, growing enrollment, and supporting diversity. Investigates and develops ways to meet enrollment goals and improve services to prospective and enrolled students .
- Plans, organizes, controls and directs the processes and operations of the registrations and student records programs; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines. Directs the activities of assigned programs to include; planning, implementing, administering and evaluating projects and services impacting the university.
- Plays a key role in Banner XE implementation and will play a future role in course curriculum evaluation and software purchase.
- Establishes, monitors, evaluates and improves processes, procedures and/or standards, ensuring alignment with University mission, values, goals and objectives and local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Develops and administers policies pertaining to the overall student record keeping function of the university including class rosters, student applications, permanent records, transcripts, credits, grading, withdrawal, computer processing and statistical information. Responsible for the security and confidentiality of student records.
- Advises and enforces University policies relating to registration and records; works with federal agencies; directs the preparation and maintenance of accurate state and federal statistical reports including student attendance accounting records, student permanent records, faculty grades and attendance records; registration and enrollment statistics and other records as assigned; assists with internal and external audits.
- Supervises management, academic professional and classified staff and performs both direct and indirect supervision through subordinates. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and discharges staff as necessary.
- Oversees commencement activities including maintenance of graduation files, preparation of graduation list, degree mailings, budget, and coordination of commencement ceremonies.
- Develops and administers budgets; implements and allocates resources following budget approval; approves expenditures.
- Evaluates and communicates the impact of potential legal or regulatory changes on the university. Recommends course transfer and substitutions for UNCG course requirements. Coordinates articulation with other schools.
- Advises and responds to questions from University departments and external agencies regarding complex issues or policies impacting assigned programs and services.
- Develops, plans, implements and administers organizational goals and objectives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Master's degree in a student services related area, education, business or other related field. Five years of University administrative experience required primarily in the areas of Student Records, Registration, or other support areas, including at least one year of supervisory experience. Experience in budget and student services planning at the University level is required.
Experience with Banner, Degree Works, and academic catalog software a PLUS.
Demonstrated ability to work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community, University students and staff. Competency in the utilization of computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with education and experience.
Org #-Department University Registrar's Office - 10204
Job Open Date 03/30/2017
For Best Consideration Date 04/20/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC school system job board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu