Posting Number: 20171311S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
Department: 507-Inn at Villanova University
Become a part of the team at the newly renovated, re-branded, 4-diamond style Inn at Villanova University!
The Sous Chef assists with food production needs of the Inn to ensure superior food production. Assist Executive Chef with innovative menu development, forecasting, purchasing, and proper training of kitchen personnel, execution, and follow-up. Assist with monitoring the work of student staff in food production for all catered events and daily restaurant activities and dishwashing staff. Work with a positive attitude and as a team member and demonstrate respect for co-workers and student staff at all times.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the specifications, ordering and production of food products for all events. Works closely with the Food and Beverage department in procurement of products, at the best price and optimal quality. Coordinates cuttings and product demos with the F&B Director.
- Works closely with the various departments in the scheduling of production and the ongoing improvement of food presentation. Includes elaborate ice carvings
- Co-responsible for the overall food quality at the Inn. Determines the need for and coordinates the scheduling of additional production staff as required. Ensures the delivery of high quality products.
- Makes recommendations to the directors regarding new and improved methods of preparation and new equipment designed to improve speed and enhance production.
- Enforces and supports departmental quality assurance by adhering to strict, high standards in: procurement, safe food handling procedures, safety and sanitation via training and assessment programs. Enforces Safety and Sanitation policies and procedures.
- Provides support and trained personnel for executing catered and special events.
- Strives to stay on the cutting edge in terms of product selection, differentiation, and nutritional trends with a strong focus on the use of local, sustainable agriculture.
- Assures compliance with standard recipes and production methods.
- Ensure that preparation and serving areas are clean and orderly and all food and equipment is properly stored following each catered event.
- Assist in the production and support areas as necessary, which may require functioning in an active cooking or production capacity for all or part of a normal shift.
- Assist Executive Chef in proper food production for high-end catering functions and daily restaurant activities.
- Assist in planning, organizing, and executing meals for all catered events and membership only dining in the restaurant.
- Welcomes and understands dietary restrictions and makes adjustments as needed.
- Work with standard recipes, procedures, and policies. Test new or revised recipes. Recommend changes in procedures and ingredients. Assist in menu planning. Oversee stewarding.
- Work with standardized recipes for quality assurance. Assures quality in presentation and taste in all food preparations.
- Test new standardized recipes and make recommendations to the Executive Chef.
- Assist in training other kitchen staff on proper food production and presentation of all standardized recipe dishes.
- Assist with menu planning for cafe and catered events.
- Continuously research, train, and update techniques, skills and recipes through attending conferences, workshops and reading magazines and journals.
- Requisition food and supplies from pantries, and storage areas, based on the defined numbers to be served. Assist in maintaining par inventory levels.
- Forecasts food production quantities and the acquisition of needed products and supplies to ensure proper execution. Conduct needed follow-up.
- Recommends new equipment and kitchen accessories and procedures for catering and dining room.
- Assist in the purchasing of all food and dry goods to ensure ordering, receiving and distribution of product is fulfilled for both catering and dining room.
- Assist with monthly inventory process and provides accurate and timely reports to assist with food cost analysis.
- Follows guidelines for and make recommendations for changes to the waste tracking system and employee meal program.
SAFETY AND SANITATION:
- Maintain required levels of sanitation; execute proper labeling and record keeping.
- Ensures safe and sanitary working conditions and safe food handling procedures.
- Understands and follows Mandatory Safety Data Sheets. Assist in updating as needed.
- Maintains ServeSafe Certificate.
HUMAN RESOURCES AND LEADERSHIP:
- May provide functional and/or administrative supervision of staff. Provide direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and counseling to assure outcomes are achieved.
- Assist with selecting, training, and supervising production and staff to include scheduling, performance management and development of staff.
- Functionally supervise, schedule, and train the salad production staff or stewarding staff.
- Assists in leading a kitchen team with support, guidance, positive attitude and good communication skills.
Performs other duties and assists with projects as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to prepare wholesome foods in great volumes, quickly and efficiently. SERV-SAFE Certification and PA Food Employee Certification. Food service equipment operation. Industry Best Practices.
Advanced Bread and Pastry Baking procedures and techniques
- Four years or more of progressive experience in upscale banquet catering and dining, preferably in a Conference Center services environment or a full service quality hotel or restaurant. 6 -8 years, minimum, of progressive culinary cooking experience in a multi unit operation in the hospitality industry, preferably college and university dining programs. 5-7 years of responsibility and accountability at the administrative level including: human resource development, training, human resource management.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, supervisory and communication skills. Strong problem solving and computer skills are also desired. Excellent communication skills, exceptional visionary leadership, strong interpersonal skills, principled negotiation skills, organization and PR skills. Understanding of current culinary market/trends and creative food presentation is essential. Knowledge of health, safety, and sanitation standards is required. SERVSAFE and/or HACCP Federal guideline certification preferred. Directly supervises varying numbers of part-time assistants as assigned. Must be able to understand written and oral communication and follow verbal instructions. Ability and willingness to work irregular hours, to include weekends and evenings. Ability to develop successful working relationships with customers and fellow employees. Knowledge of normal hand tools common to the commercial kitchen.
- Experience working in various computer applications including POS and Inventory.
- Four year degree, Hotel and Restaurant Management or Culinary Arts is preferred.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Routine exposure to extreme temperatures and mild chemicals.
- Occasional lifting of 50 lbs, standing for extended periods of time.
- Use all kitchen equipment and computers, ice carving tools which includes chain saws.
Special Message to Applicants
Posting Date: 03/28/2017
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Band: I
Job Classification: Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/10930
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.