Director of Online Learning
The Director of Online Learning (DOL) serves as part of the Academic Affairs Office team dedicated to supporting the mission of Fort Valley State University (FVSU), which is to advance the cause of education with emphasis upon fulfilling commitments that our community members have undertaken collectively. The successful candidate must be an exceptionally qualified, bright, energetic and innovative individual with a passion for online learning. The DOL reports directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and will play a key role in ensuring that online course quality is exceptional.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategic plans and policies for online learning, perform yearly program assessments and provide ongoing budgetary analysis
- Meet with deans and chairs to develop and revise responsive plans for online education
- Collaborate with IT to recommend and evaluate technologies relevant to online learning
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to market and promote online learning
- Evaluate and disseminate new developments and research in online education
- Provide technical assistance for online faculty
- Oversee response to helpdesk work orders from faculty regarding online teaching
- Coordinate and conduct training for online faculty in the development of online instructional materials and online instructional methods, as needed
- Assist faculty with the development of teaching competencies, pedagogical practices, instructional technology utilization and assessment strategies required of high quality online courses
- Work with faculty to explore and develop new online offerings
- Work with faculty to implement a user-friendly online learning environment for students
- Facilitate informational needs of students and potential students who take online courses
- Provide technical assistance for students via the institution's helpdesk
- Respond directly to concerns of students taking online courses
- Serve on committees, taskforces and other groups as an advisor and advocate for high-quality online teaching and courses
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications & Experience
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Two or more years of progressive leadership and management experience in the development of online programs/courses including instructional design, course development and evaluation practices
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of the major LMS
- In-depth knowledge of current trends, techniques and tools involved in distance and online learning
- Experience in online course development and/or in teaching in an online environment, including assessment of student outcomes
- Experience implementing distance-learning initiatives
- Experience creating a strategic vision for integrating new technologies for better learning outcomes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated collaborative and coordinative skills
- An earned doctorate in an area closely related to adult education, educational psychology, instructional design, instructional technology, higher education administration or online learning or from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Five or more years directing complex projects and programs involving faculty, staff and students
- Experience with budget management
- Experience teaching online courses
- Quality Matters credentialing
Closing Date: The position will remain open until filled but applications received by May 1, 2017, will receive full consideration.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are asked to kindly include cover letter, resume/CV, and copies of unofficial transcripts for full consideration.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.